Old July 25th 07, 01:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Does anyone read books?

Now the truth is revealed!
MVP is not a tag you wear on your shirt pocket - it's a bullseye target
painted on your forehead.

"T. Valko" wrote:

LOL!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
. net...
You really don't want to help anyone. Just show your "MVP". If you did,
you would suggest books to read and other sources of learning. . Not act
like an "MVP". Grow up.

"T. Valko" wrote in message
Why are so many of your posts duplicates? You only have to click the SEND
button once. I suggest your get a good book. <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
et...
If I were new to a subject, I would read a book about it and practice
the exercises, rather than ask simple questions like: "How do I add the
value in cell A1 to the value in cell A2 and put the result in cell
A3?". Excel is like algebra. After discovering the solution to the
equation 4x+1 = 9, (answer: x = 2), by asking someone else, did you
learn how to derive the answer by yourself and will you always continue
to ask for help rather than getting a book on the subject, be it Excel
or algebra, and learn by reading? Or is that too difficult? I see so
often, "I just got Excel, but I'm not willing to read and learn so I'll
ask others." Got news for you. That approach will not work; you won't
learn much about Excel or anything else for that matter. Have fun. .
We all have questions about things such as Excel or algebra. It's just
that some of us try to rely upon ourselves before asking others, whereas
some just say: someone else will provide the answer.

To those of you brand new to Excel, I recommend books such as:

For absolute newbies:

Excel 2003 Step by Step (ISBN: 0-7356-1518-7) or Excel 2007 Step by
Step (0-7356-2304-X) both $24.99 at Barnes and Noble

Beyond newbie:

Excel 2003 Bible (ISBN: 0-7645-3967-1) or Excel 2007 Bible (ISBN:
0-4700-4403-9) both $39.99 at Barnes and Noble
Excel 2003 Inside Out (ISBN: 0-7356-1511-X) or Excel 2007 Inside Out
(ISBN: 0-7356-2321-X) both $44.99 at Barnes and Noble.

Just a thought. May your days be kind to you.

Regards,

Dave

Old July 25th 07, 01:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Dave, when people ask me about beginner's books I usually point to "Microsoft
Office Excel 2003 All-In-One Desk Reference for Dummies", the 9-books-in-1
edition by Greg Harvey. ISBN 0-7645-3758-X, $29.99 U.S.

But the simple fact of the matter is that people in non-programming or
non-development lines of work, be it physician or pool cleaner simply don't
have the time nor the inclination to sit down and start working through some
long learning process to get one simple job done that realize is a way that
will make their real task in life (putting food on their table, roof over
their head, clothes on their backs) easier. The learning curve is simply too
long.

Besides, if everyone knew everything, then what would justify the existance
of consultants? Or help forums like this one?

Old July 25th 07, 04:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"T. Valko" wrote in message

(BTW, I had to look up insolent in a dictionary. Hmmm...that is sooooo not
me!)

Okay, so how did you know what to look-up?

Old July 25th 07, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message

"T. Valko" wrote in message

(BTW, I had to look up insolent in a dictionary. Hmmm...that is sooooo
not me!)

Okay, so how did you know what to look-up?

Dave told me! Good thing he spelled it correctly.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old July 25th 07, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Jerry

I have been fighting some type of "connective tissue disease for" 18 months.

Last month my fourth or fifth Dr. said "There's a good chance you have Lupus.
What do you think?"

I was nonplussed to say the least.

So we got out the bag of bones and dried lizard skins and bat skulls. Rolled
'em out and went with that.

Gord

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 05:06:01 -0700, JLatham <HelpFrom @
Jlathamsite.com.(removethis) wrote:

I'm not so sure that Dave has recognized a science just yet - since in most
of my experience the M.D.s have simply exchanged a lion's mane cape for a
white lab coat, and stethoscope for painted gourd rattle <g
In any endeavor, if someone tells me "here, TRY this..." rather than an
absolute "Here, this will correct the condition..." then I think "art or
mysticism or educated guesswork" vs "science".

And sometimes even the books don't help: look at how many people start out
early on writing =SUM(A1+A2) -- based on the examples given by the 'book'
(Help) provided by the tool's manufacturer ... ROFL!

"Kazdagi" wrote:

Obviously you failed mind-reading. Excel is much harder than medicine. What
did I claim to be besides lost? Now, settle down, say Hi to Wendy, grab a
bowl of that world famous chili, have a coke and a smile - Dr.'s orders.
--
It is getting harder and harder to concentrate . . . what was I saying again?

"Dave Thomas" wrote:

Do not begin the compare Excel with medicine. Excel is a tool. Not a
science. I am amazed that if you are learned in medicine, you would not
recognize a tool and not a science. I think you are not what you claim to
be.

"Kazdagi" .(donotspam) wrote in message
I do, I read books, mostly medical books. Dave do you read medical books?
Cause then maybe you could either treat youself if you got sick Usually a
bad
thing) or realize just how complicated medicine is even with the books.
For
some of us excel is like that - complicated even with a book. Therefore
we
rely on those good souls, expert in their field to easily and accurately
assess, diagnose, and treat our problems. I also use search and that in
itself is often the cliff notes of what one needs to answer the question
at
hand.

Later Dave,

Kazdagi

Old July 26th 07, 02:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
CLR CLR is offline

Well said JL. Some folks can learn easily from books, and some can't. I
would hate to think if I would have had to "read a book" every time I had a
question.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Dave Thomas" wrote:

[...]

Excel - Does anyone read any books? Dave Thomas New Users to Excel 3 July 24th 07 08:00 PM
which books..? Roy New Users to Excel 3 October 15th 06 09:41 AM
I have a read only xl file, I need it to be read and write drama queen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 1st 06 12:25 AM
Reference Books Wquuinn New Users to Excel 2 February 27th 06 07:19 PM
How can a file be converted from Read-Only to Read/Write Jim in Apopka Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 19th 05 04:59 PM