Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Excel - Does anyone read any books?

I was just wondering if any of the new-comers to Excel ever thought of
reading a book about Excel. Or is it easier to ask a question and get an
answer rather than to explore the new subject by reading a book, working
one's way through the exercises and perhaps having a small understanding
when finished so that questions like: how do I add the value in cell A1 to
the value in cell A2 and put the answer in cell A3? Just wondering.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

If you don't mind a newbie jumping in here I would like to say as one of the
older generation (probably old enough to be a grandmother to most of you) and
this being my first computer and first time trying to learn excel I must say
that some of the books are confusing. After reading something several times
I end up scratching my head. If I ask a question and somebody answers it I
can then see what they did and how they did it and then usually understand
and make sense of it all.

"Dave Thomas" wrote:

I was just wondering if any of the new-comers to Excel ever thought of
reading a book about Excel. Or is it easier to ask a question and get an
answer rather than to explore the new subject by reading a book, working
one's way through the exercises and perhaps having a small understanding
when finished so that questions like: how do I add the value in cell A1 to
the value in cell A2 and put the answer in cell A3? Just wondering.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I agree with all except the "old enough to be a grandmother" part.

I have grandchildren older than a lot of people posting here.

Asking questions here and getting several answers with perhaps different methods
to achieve the same results is a great way to learn.

Once your feet are wet up above the knees you can start on the books to increase
your knowledge and expand on what you have learned since Excel is no longer a
mysterious and confusing sheet of blank cells awaiting your ministrations.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP