Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Bob Phillips Bob Phillips is offline

Default Does anyone read books?

Actually, it is RTFM. RTFL is about funny ...

--
HTH

Bob

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
et...
Years ago, we had an expression. RTFL. I'm sure many of you recognize it.

"Dave Thomas" wrote in message
et...
If I were new to a subject, I would read a book about it and practice the
exercises, rather than ask simple questions like: "How do I add the value
in cell A1 to the value in cell A2 and put the result in cell A3?". Excel
is like algebra. After discovering the solution to the equation 4x+1 = 9,
(answer: x = 2), by asking someone else, did you learn how to derive the
answer by yourself and will you always continue to ask for help rather
than getting a book on the subject, be it Excel or algebra, and learn by
reading? Or is that too difficult? I see so often, "I just got Excel,
but I'm not willing to read and learn so I'll ask others." Got news for
you. That approach will not work; you won't learn much about Excel or
anything else for that matter. Have fun. :). We all have questions about
things such as Excel or algebra. It's just that some of us try to rely
upon ourselves before asking others, whereas some just say: someone else
will provide the answer.

To those of you brand new to Excel, I recommend books such as:

For absolute newbies:

Excel 2003 Step by Step (ISBN: 0-7356-1518-7) or Excel 2007 Step by
Step (0-7356-2304-X) both $24.99 at Barnes and Noble

Beyond newbie:

Excel 2003 Bible (ISBN: 0-7645-3967-1) or Excel 2007 Bible (ISBN:
0-4700-4403-9) both $39.99 at Barnes and Noble
Excel 2003 Inside Out (ISBN: 0-7356-1511-X) or Excel 2007 Inside Out
(ISBN: 0-7356-2321-X) both $44.99 at Barnes and Noble.

Just a thought. May your days be kind to you.

Regards,

Dave