Old July 24th 07, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Does anyone read books?

If I were new to a subject, I would read a book about it and practice the
exercises, rather than ask simple questions like: "How do I add the value in
cell A1 to the value in cell A2 and put the result in cell A3?". Excel is
like algebra. After discovering the solution to the equation 4x+1 = 9,
(answer: x = 2), by asking someone else, did you learn how to derive the
answer by yourself and will you always continue to ask for help rather than
getting a book on the subject, be it Excel or algebra, and learn by reading?
Or is that too difficult? I see so often, "I just got Excel, but I'm not
willing to read and learn so I'll ask others." Got news for you. That
approach will not work; you won't learn much about Excel or anything else
for that matter. Have fun. . We all have questions about things such as
Excel or algebra. It's just that some of us try to rely upon ourselves
before asking others, whereas some just say: someone else will provide the
answer.

To those of you brand new to Excel, I recommend books such as:

For absolute newbies:

Excel 2003 Step by Step (ISBN: 0-7356-1518-7) or Excel 2007 Step by
Step (0-7356-2304-X) both $24.99 at Barnes and Noble

Beyond newbie:

Excel 2003 Bible (ISBN: 0-7645-3967-1) or Excel 2007 Bible (ISBN:
0-4700-4403-9) both $39.99 at Barnes and Noble
Excel 2003 Inside Out (ISBN: 0-7356-1511-X) or Excel 2007 Inside Out
(ISBN: 0-7356-2321-X) both $44.99 at Barnes and Noble.

Just a thought. May your days be kind to you.

Regards,

Dave

Old July 24th 07, 04:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Why are so many of your posts duplicates? You only have to click the SEND
button once. I suggest your get a good book. <g

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

et...

Old July 24th 07, 05:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I do, I read books, mostly medical books. Dave do you read medical books?
Cause then maybe you could either treat youself if you got sick Usually a bad
thing) or realize just how complicated medicine is even with the books. For
some of us excel is like that - complicated even with a book. Therefore we
rely on those good souls, expert in their field to easily and accurately
assess, diagnose, and treat our problems. I also use search and that in
itself is often the cliff notes of what one needs to answer the question at
hand.

Later Dave,

Kazdagi
--
It is getting harder and harder to concentrate . . . what was I saying again?

Old July 24th 07, 05:59 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Do not begin the compare Excel with medicine. Excel is a tool. Not a
science. I am amazed that if you are learned in medicine, you would not
recognize a tool and not a science. I think you are not what you claim to
be.

Old July 24th 07, 06:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

LOL!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

. net...

"T. Valko" wrote in message
[...]

Excel - Does anyone read any books? Dave Thomas New Users to Excel 3 July 24th 07 08:00 PM
which books..? Roy New Users to Excel 3 October 15th 06 09:41 AM
I have a read only xl file, I need it to be read and write drama queen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 July 1st 06 12:25 AM
Reference Books Wquuinn New Users to Excel 2 February 27th 06 07:19 PM
How can a file be converted from Read-Only to Read/Write Jim in Apopka Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 19th 05 04:59 PM