Old June 21st 11, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VBA Question

I have a some xlsx files located he J:\Projects\ORF.

Is there a way to extract the 5th row of each file at this location ?

Old June 22nd 11, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Workbooks(files) don't have rows.

Each workbook is comprised of one or more worksheets............these worksheets
have rows.

You must be more specific with your description.

But yes..............you can extract data from each of the files(workbooks) in
that folder if you know which worksheet contains the required row.

Check out Ron de Bruin's site.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

Browse through the codes you find under his Copy/Paste/Merge Examples.

Note the "merge data from all workbooks in a folder"

Ron has also supplied an Add-in you could download.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old June 22nd 11, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 21, 7:33*pm, Gord Dibben wrote:
Workbooks(files) don't have rows.

Each workbook is comprised of one or more worksheets............these worksheets
have rows.

You must be more specific with your description.

But yes..............you can extract data from each of the files(workbooks) in
that folder if you know which worksheet contains the required row.

Check out Ron de Bruin's site.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

Browse through the codes you find under his Copy/Paste/Merge Examples.

Note the "merge data from all workbooks in a folder"

Ron has also supplied an Add-in you could download.

Gord Dibben * * MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 12:26:38 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
I have a some xlsx files located he *J:\Projects\ORF.

Is there a way to extract the 5th row of each file at this location ?- Hide quoted text -

Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.
Old June 22nd 11, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

Old June 22nd 11, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 22, 9:08*am, Gord Dibben wrote:
In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:40:30 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I looked at my path again. Turns out the workbooks are all
located in separate folders.

The code you pointed me too looks like I need to select all the
workbooks before running it - is that correct ?

Old June 22nd 11, 06:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 22, 9:46*am, carl wrote:
On Jun 22, 9:08*am, Gord Dibben wrote:

In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:40:30 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I looked at my path again. Turns out the workbooks are all
located in separate folders.

The code you pointed me too looks like I need to select all the
workbooks before running it - is that correct ?

You would need to fully qualify each folder path for each file. You
could, if NOT too many, even use a formula

Old June 22nd 11, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 22, 1:01*pm, Don Guillett wrote:
On Jun 22, 9:46*am, carl wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:08*am, Gord Dibben wrote:

In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:40:30 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I looked at my path again. Turns out the workbooks are all
located in separate folders.

The code you pointed me too looks like I need to select all the
workbooks before running it - is that correct ?

You would need to fully qualify each folder path for each file. You
could, if NOT too many, even use a formula- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Unfortunately, there are 223
Old June 22nd 11, 07:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 22, 9:46*am, carl wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:08*am, Gord Dibben wrote:

In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:40:30 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I looked at my path again. Turns out the workbooks are all
located in separate folders.

The code you pointed me too looks like I need to select all the
workbooks before running it - is that correct ?

You would need to fully qualify each folder path for each file. You
could, if NOT too many, even use a formula- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Unfortunately, there are 223

More info perhaps. You have 223 files in ________(how many) folders
and do you know the files in each folder and the sheet in the file to
get the row????????????????
Old June 22nd 11, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jun 22, 9:46*am, carl wrote:

On Jun 22, 9:08*am, Gord Dibben wrote:

In that case have a look at Ron's code here.

http://www.rondebruin.nl/summary2.htm

Gord

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 05:40:30 -0700 (PDT), carl wrote:
Each workbook contains 1 worksheet. I need to extract the 5th row of
the worksheet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I looked at my path again. Turns out the workbooks are all
located in separate folders.

The code you pointed me too looks like I need to select all the
workbooks before running it - is that correct ?

You would need to fully qualify each folder path for each file. You
could, if NOT too many, even use a formula- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. Unfortunately, there are 223

More info perhaps. You have 223 files in ________(how many) folders
and do you know the files in each folder and the sheet in the file to
get the row????????????????- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for helping.

I have 223 files in 223 folders. Each folder only contains 1 file. All
the files have the same name. Each file (workbook) contains 1 sheet
named "ORF_Charge". In this sheet, the data I am trying to extract is
in row 5.
Old June 22nd 11, 10:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have 223 files in 223 folders. Each folder only contains 1 file. All
the files have the same name. Each file (workbook) contains 1 sheet
named "ORF_Charge". In this sheet, the data I am trying to extract is
in row 5.

I sincerely hope you inherited this storage system from a predecessor.

If not, what were you thinking?

Did you ever hear of "shared files" where one master workbook is kept up-to-date
by multiple users?

Can you get a list of all the folders and paths to those folders?

Can you get that list into a worksheet in a new workbook?

We should be able to use a loop to iterate through that list of path/folders and
pull row 5 from each ORF_Change worksheet since all workbooks have the same
name.

The trick is to get into the 223 folders.

Gord