Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Creating accessible color-independent charts in Excel 2007

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

They removed the UI for pattern fills in 2007.
Fortunately the functionality is still available via code. I have an add-in
that allows you to use pattern fills.
http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm

There is a blog post by Eric Patterson, a program manager on the Excel team,
on the subject.
http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...ern-fills.aspx

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
wrote in message
I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

If you use a bar or column chart, you won't need different colors, because
each point will have its label along the category axis. You will make it
easier to compare each point's value (pies are poor for this).

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

wrote in message
I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, Andy! I really like your site and just played your sudoko
game. I am sorry that they removed this functionality, and am glad
that I now have your addin. It works well, but is there a mode where
it can automatically generate each chart element in different fill
patterns rather than having to go in and have each element filled
explicitly? Thanks for sharing your wisdom and Excel resources!

Dilip

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, Jon. I like using pie charts when looking at fractionating a
whole. Plus I teach and want to make sure that my students can create
charts of different types and not rely on color. Thanks!

Dilip

Peltier Technical Services, Inc. -http://PeltierTech.com
_______

wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

You could create a routine that formats all the slices of a selected chart
with a set of patterns.

Cheers
Andy
--

wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

A priori it would seem that pie charts would be good for looking at parts of
the whole, but they're not all that effective at it. May I direct you to
this article by Stephen Few:

Save the Pies for Dessert
http://www.perceptualedge.com/articles/08-21-07.pdf

As an educator, you should be concerned that your students learn not only
how to make certain chart types, but also how to make effective chart types.

- Jon
-------

wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks, Jon, for the pointer to your detailed article! I also have a
background in ease of use, so appreciate the perspective. I am going
to add a pointer to your article to my class notes to share with
future students. In class, I do warn students to use charts
effectively and point out that one can mislead especially with 3D
charts. Thanks!

Dilip

wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

That's not my article, it's Stephen Few's. I'm slowly developing similar and
complementary content for my blog. So many people write about effective
charting practices, but not many direct their attentions at Excel charting.
Charley Kyd (http://exceluser.com) is one of a handful, and I'm trying to
help fill in gaps.

- Jon
-------

wrote in message

I can't seem to figure out (it was easy in earlier versions!) how to
take pie charts (or other types of charts) and make them independent
of color. I don't mind if the chart uses color, but I don't want to
rely on color to make sure that people of varying sensitivities to
color or a black and white photocopy doesn't put the user of the chart
at a disadvantage. How can I have my different pie slices not just a
different color, but in a different cross-hatch or other fill? Thanks,
and sorry if this is obvious!- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks. I meant to say the article that you referred to. I've already
created a link to it for my students with Stephen Few's name mentioned
as the author. --Dilip