Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe McGuire

Default Unwanted hyperlinks

Whenever I type my e-mail address in a cell it is turned into a hyperlink.
This is particularly annoying in a spreadsheet which I use to keep track of
the 1001 User IDs and Passwords I need. OK, I really only need 101 of them.
It might be convenient for websites I type in to be hyperlinks. I'd like to
make that call myself. But I sure don't mean to send myself an e-mail each
time I move the cursor to a cell containing only own e-mail address. Even
if I later change the text to read something that is obviously not an e-mail
address, e.g., "My AOL E-mail Address," it still operates as a hyperlink to
the originally-enetered e-mail address. Is there a way to prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
JE McGimpsey

See

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/nohyperlinks.html

In article ,
"Joe McGuire" wrote:

Whenever I type my e-mail address in a cell it is turned into a hyperlink.
This is particularly annoying in a spreadsheet which I use to keep track of
the 1001 User IDs and Passwords I need. OK, I really only need 101 of them.
It might be convenient for websites I type in to be hyperlinks. I'd like to
make that call myself. But I sure don't mean to send myself an e-mail each
time I move the cursor to a cell containing only own e-mail address. Even
if I later change the text to read something that is obviously not an e-mail
address, e.g., "My AOL E-mail Address," it still operates as a hyperlink to
the originally-enetered e-mail address. Is there a way to prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ron Coderre

Try this:
ToolsOptionsSpelling tab
Click the [Autocorrect options] button
Selec the AutoFormat As You Type tab
Uncheck: Replace as you type...Internet and network paths with hyperlinks

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

Whenever I type my e-mail address in a cell it is turned into a hyperlink.
This is particularly annoying in a spreadsheet which I use to keep track of
the 1001 User IDs and Passwords I need. OK, I really only need 101 of them.
It might be convenient for websites I type in to be hyperlinks. I'd like to
make that call myself. But I sure don't mean to send myself an e-mail each
time I move the cursor to a cell containing only own e-mail address. Even
if I later change the text to read something that is obviously not an e-mail
address, e.g., "My AOL E-mail Address," it still operates as a hyperlink to
the originally-enetered e-mail address. Is there a way to prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Joe McGuire

Thanks. This seems to work, but only for new instances. It seems that no
matter how thoroughly I delete everything in the cell with the hyperlink,
and no matter what the replacement text is, the link is there to stay.
However, I noticed that although the link will open automatically if I
cllick the cell, it will not do so if I remember to click and HOLD. This
last little tidbit of knowledge may really be the practical answer. I am
not sure I want to forestall all creation of hyperlinks, although a
hyperlink for my own e-mail address IS pretty absurd.

I will also check out the suggestions in JE McGimpsey's paper. The Ctrl-Z
thing seems to be pretty effective, but only with respect to new instances.

"Joe McGuire" wrote:

Whenever I type my e-mail address in a cell it is turned into a
hyperlink.
This is particularly annoying in a spreadsheet which I use to keep track
of
the 1001 User IDs and Passwords I need. OK, I really only need 101 of
them.
It might be convenient for websites I type in to be hyperlinks. I'd like
make that call myself. But I sure don't mean to send myself an e-mail
each
time I move the cursor to a cell containing only own e-mail address.
Even
if I later change the text to read something that is obviously not an
e-mail
address, e.g., "My AOL E-mail Address," it still operates as a hyperlink
the originally-enetered e-mail address. Is there a way to prevent this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Peo Sjoblom

You can copy an empty cell. select the hyperlinks (preferably using the
keyboard) then do editpaste special and select add

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon