Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cdroot4383

Default hyperlinks in different drives

Hi,

I'm creating a spreadsheet that hyperlinks to about 50 different
documents. Eventually, i want a CD to contain the excel file and all
the hyperlinked documents. To get the hyperlinks to run from the cd, i
had to change all of the hyperlinks within my spreadsheet to the E:\
(this is the drive where my burner is). I then inserted the cd into a
different computer (D:\) and none of my hyperlinks work anymore? Is
there anyway to make sure that the excel hyperlinks open to the files
stored on the cd, regardless of which drive it is in?

thanks in advance,
chris

--
cdroot4383
cdroot4383's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30150

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

chris,

That is a good question, one I will watch to see if it gets answered.
However, one way to accomplish what you want is to create
the links when/where you need them.
Store the files on the CD and use a utility that creates links to those files.
You could install the utility on each machine that will use the CD or
create several workbooks that are each linked to a particular drive.

I should note that good practice dictates that one should copy
XL files to the hard drive and open them from there.

My free "List Files" Excel add-in will do the job.
Download from here...

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"cdroot4383" wrote in message
Hi,
I'm creating a spreadsheet that hyperlinks to about 50 different
documents. Eventually, i want a CD to contain the excel file and all
the hyperlinked documents. To get the hyperlinks to run from the cd, i
had to change all of the hyperlinks within my spreadsheet to the E:\
(this is the drive where my burner is). I then inserted the cd into a
different computer (D:\) and none of my hyperlinks work anymore? Is
there anyway to make sure that the excel hyperlinks open to the files
stored on the cd, regardless of which drive it is in?
thanks in advance,
chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
cdroot4383

Jim,

That list files addon is nice, it definitely made it a lot faster to
hyperlink everything that i needed. I definitely agree that the files
should be stored on the hard drive first. Unfortunately, a customer is
paying almost $10k to have all the documentation related to
manufacturing their specific product. Thats why i wanted the cd to run
basically on its own.

at least there is the option to create several workbooks and just
prompt the user to open the proper file that describes the drive that
the cd is inserted in that particular time.

thanks,
chris