Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Formatting Lost When Multiple Cells are blank

I provide technical support for software users. These users export data from
the software with multiple columns and multiple rows. One column for End
Date is formatted as Custom format Type: m/d/yyy" "h\:mm\:ss AM/PM.

These files are often very large, sometimes over 55,000 rows. The problem
happens when there are multiple rows in a row without data. It seems as if
the formatting is lost.

For example, the first ten rows have data recorded (date and time) and there
are then 500 rows with blank data and then the next ten rows (rows 511
through 521) have data. These cells don't seem to retain the proper
formatting. They show the date but not the time.

I'm sorry if I can't explain this well. Has anyone ever seen anything like
this? I'm not even sure how to search for similar posts on this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

I should clarify. The problem seems to be when there are multiple rows in
which the data for this column is blank.

For example let's say there are seven columns:

First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Provider Name, Open Date, End Date, Sex

We have a row for each client, of which there are 55,000 clients and of whom
40,000 of them do not have an End Date. The problem seems to be when there
are many clients in a row without an End Date and then one client with an End
Date.

The cell seems to be formatted correctly when I click on it and go to
FormatCells, but it doesn't seem to display as dictacted in the formatting.
Instead it appears to display as if regular text.

"SIMS Super Support" wrote:

I provide technical support for software users. These users export data from
the software with multiple columns and multiple rows. One column for End
Date is formatted as Custom format Type: m/d/yyy" "h\:mm\:ss AM/PM.