Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Linking cells in a Workbook - Formatting is lost

I am re-displaying information on various pages of a workbook, but using the
"=worksheetname,cell" option. I have just discovered that if I have font
formatting in the source cell, it is not redisplayed in the linked cell.

Is there a way to re-display information that will also carry the formatting
with it? In this case the information uses the strikeout feature - which is
important to understanding the context of the information.

Thanks
Gail
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There is no easy way to link the formatting of one cell to another. The
function you enter into the cell only returns the value of the linked cell.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gail" wrote:

I am re-displaying information on various pages of a workbook, but using the
"=worksheetname,cell" option. I have just discovered that if I have font
formatting in the source cell, it is not redisplayed in the linked cell.

Is there a way to re-display information that will also carry the formatting
with it? In this case the information uses the strikeout feature - which is
important to understanding the context of the information.

Thanks
Gail

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Unfortunately, it's a 2 step process. Moreover, it only copies the
formatting in place at the time you establish the formula. Subsequent
changes to the formula are not captured.

Copy the source cell
Select the destination cell
Paste (this copies the source formatting)
Now use Edit-Paste special-Paste link (this replaces the pasted result
with a link to the source cell)

You may also want to explore linked pictures. It's easiest if you place the
Camera tool on the toolbar and use it to take a'picture' of the cell(s) you
want to link. Then select where you want the results to appear. Excel
pastes an object that is a linked image of the source range

"Gail" wrote:

I am re-displaying information on various pages of a workbook, but using the
"=worksheetname,cell" option. I have just discovered that if I have font
formatting in the source cell, it is not redisplayed in the linked cell.

Is there a way to re-display information that will also carry the formatting
with it? In this case the information uses the strikeout feature - which is
important to understanding the context of the information.

Thanks
Gail

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for the suggestions - however, the first option is not working in
my situation. I still do not see the "strikeout" across the text. And the
second option seems that it would defeat the purpose of linking the cells
(keeping the data in sync in multiple locations). It appears that I would
need to "re-shoot" the image each time the data changed, and that would
require remembering to paste it into each referenced location.

I do appreciate you taking the time to answer.