Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional Formatting Not Blank Cells

Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. I would like to apply a conditional format to the range
of cells A2:F171. Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank in
column F should remain unchanged. I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). But it highlights all cells in the array. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nate
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you have formulas in those other cells, then they are not blank. If that
is the case, then use this formula instead.
=NOT($F2="")

HTH,
Paul

--

"Nate" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. I would like to apply a conditional format to the
range
of cells A2:F171. Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows
that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank in
column F should remain unchanged. I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). But it highlights all cells in the array. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or even:

=$F2<""

Pete

"Nate" wrote in message

Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. *I would like to apply a conditional format to the
range
of cells A2:F171. *Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows
that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank in
column F should remain unchanged. *I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). *But it highlights all cells in the array. *Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. *Thanks,

Nate- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry - I don't think I explained clearly. There are no formulas in column
F. Some cells have dates in them and some are blank. I was highlighting the
whole range and then doing Format Conditional Formatting Formula is
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). I guess I'm confused as to why I would need a formula in
the cell itself to do a conditional formatting? Thanks-

"Nate" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. I would like to apply a conditional format to the
range
of cells A2:F171. Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows
that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank in
column F should remain unchanged. I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). But it highlights all cells in the array. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I wasn't saying that need a formula in the cell. I was actually referring
to your Conditional formatting (Formula is). My point was that if there
were formulas in those cells in which the formula returns a blank
=IF(A1="","",A1) then the cell would appear blank.
Is it possible that the cell is not actually blank...maybe there's a space
in the cell. Test a cell that appears to be empty but still gets
highlighted with your conditional formatting. In another cell enter this
formula: =LEN(YourCellReference)
If that returns anything but zero, then the cell is not blank.

HTH,
Paul

--

"Nate" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. I would like to apply a conditional format to the
range
of cells A2:F171. Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows
that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank
in
column F should remain unchanged. I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). But it highlights all cells in the array. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tested using the formula you provided and all cells that appear blank
actually are blank (or at least they are returning 0). When I highlight the
whole range A2:F171 and then enter formula is =NOT(ISBLANK($F2)) - it
highlights ever cell in my range. Column F is the only column with any blank
cells. I'm just not sure if my formula is wrong or if I'm doing something
else wrong. Thanks for all of your input.

"Nate" wrote in message
Hello,

I'm Using XL 2003. I would like to apply a conditional format to the
range
of cells A2:F171. Basically, I would like to highlight all of the rows
that
have a value in column F, and the rows that have no value or are blank
in
column F should remain unchanged. I tried using the formula
=NOT(ISBLANK($F2)). But it highlights all cells in the array. Any
suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Nate

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Works for me "if" the look-like-blanks in Column F are truly blank.

Have looked to see if perhaps Excel changed the $F2 to F2 or $F$2 in your
formula is: =NOT(ISBLANK($F2))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP