Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Microsoft Office Doc Image Writer is still printing ghosts and it's totally freaking me out!!!!!!!

Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no printer at
home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost appears
only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find existing
documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

I cannot repeat the problem. But if you are using this because you don't
have a printer at home, it isn't the best solution. Just install your work's
printer driver. It doesn't matter that you don't have a printer or it isn't
connected, it is the printer driver that Word needs to see and using the
'normal' printer driver is the best solution as it ensure compatibility.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no printer at
home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost appears
only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find existing
documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

JethroUK© wrote:

Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no printer
at home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost appears
only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find existing
documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Just use the .XPS printer instead, which is rather like PDF, althouhg not so
universal. Alternatively, install one of the many free PDF printer drivers
and use that. TinyPDF is good, but you have to make sure you get the right
link, for the updated driver that does not make you download any further
trial software, IIRC.

http://www.tinypdf.com/

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

ole wrote:

"JethroUK? wrote in message
Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no

printer
at
home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost

appears
only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find

existing documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which

works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember

the extension

WTF is your problem?

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message
JethroUK© wrote:

Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no printer
at home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost appears
only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find existing
documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Just use the .XPS printer instead, which is rather like PDF,

think thats the one we use at work 0- how can install it?

althouhg not so
universal. Alternatively, install one of the many free PDF printer
drivers and use that. TinyPDF is good, but you have to make sure you get
the right link, for the updated driver that does not make you download any
further trial software, IIRC.

http://www.tinypdf.com/

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Can we conclude this is a Vista (cant see my own reflection) issue?

P.S. after reboot Vista still can't see them but they are there??????????

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

maybe you dont use them much - the whole point of pdf/image printers is it
prints to a file (instead of the printer you dont have) - you can then take
the file to where there is a printer

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
Every time i use 'Microsoft Office (2003) Doc Image Writer' (no printer
at home) no printed document appears - ever!!!

But when I try to reprint the document it's 'dis-embodied' ghost
appears only in the save as dialogue box (even after a reboot)

I think this is yet another Vista bug (Vista can't see/find existing
documents)

I've reported this before without cure

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
If i dont have a printer it's not going to print surely?

Use the print options to direct the output to a file, then bring that work
and print it there by copying the file (as a binary file) to the printer
port. More info on that he

http://filext.com/faq/print_from_prn_file.php

But it's probably simpler to print it to PDF or XPS format and transport
that, instead.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's true, but you can also take the *.docs too. The problem with taking
an image is that Word uses the printer parameters it finds by interrogating
the printer driver to determine the page layout appropriate for a particular
printer. Every printer is different, so there is a high probability that if
you create a print file using a different printer (including the image
writer), the actual layout of the printed document may be different than you
intend. So the best solution is to use the printer driver for the printer
you are going to be using. You can still print to file, but the document
will have the expected layout.

Terry

"JethroUK©" wrote in message
maybe you dont use them much - the whole point of pdf/image printers is it
prints to a file (instead of the printer you dont have) - you can then
take the file to where there is a printer

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Terry Farrell wrote:

<top-posting macro corrected

maybe you dont use them much - the whole point of pdf/image printers
is it prints to a file (instead of the printer you dont have) - you
can then take the file to where there is a printer

That's true, but you can also take the *.docs too. The problem with
taking an image is that Word uses the printer parameters it finds by
interrogating the printer driver to determine the page layout
appropriate for a particular printer. Every printer is different, so
there is a high probability that if you create a print file using a
different printer (including the image writer), the actual layout of
the printed document may be different than you intend. So the best
solution is to use the printer driver for the printer you are going to
be using. You can still print to file, but the document will have the
expected layout.

Erm, welcome to the 21st century, Terry.

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

JethroUK© wrote:

Anyone know the name of it's predecessor (we use at work) which works
perfectly - creates it's own document type albeit can't remember the
extension

Just use the .XPS printer instead, which is rather like PDF,

think thats the one we use at work 0- how can install it?

What is in your printer folder?

IIRC, Vista has the XPS printer installed by default, but fully updated XP
computers should have it too.

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

JethroUK© wrote:

Can we conclude this is a Vista (cant see my own reflection) issue?

P.S. after reboot Vista still can't see them but they are there??????????

?

ss.

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

i remember trying this a few years back (10 maybe) and whilst it's fairly
obvious how to print to file - it's positively obtuse how to print "the
file" to a printer

hence pdf printers & image writer

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote in message
"JethroUK©" wrote in message
If i dont have a printer it's not going to print surely?

Use the print options to direct the output to a file, then bring that work
and print it there by copying the file (as a binary file) to the printer
port. More info on that he

http://filext.com/faq/print_from_prn_file.php

But it's probably simpler to print it to PDF or XPS format and transport
that, instead.

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
www.datagnostics.com

(please reply to the newsgroup)

Posted to microsoft.public.access,microsoft.public.excel.newusers,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.newusers

"JethroUK©" wrote in message

maybe you dont use them much - the whole point of pdf/image printers is it
prints to a file (instead of the printer you dont have) - you can then
take the file to where there is a printer

I don't at all agree that the whole point of pdf is that you can then take
the file to where there is a printer. The whole point is that you can create
a pdf file within *your* application, then distribute the file to others,
who can then view or print the same thing you see, even if they don't have
the same program, or a compatible one.