Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SJM SJM is offline

Default Convertion of Star Office documents to Microsoft Office

I was recently forced to upgrade to a new computer, with Vista installed.
Much of my previous hardware and software won't run under Vista. This
includes Star Office 7. I have a number of documents and spreadsheets, that
I need to view. Is there a free convertion utility, that will let me read
them in MS Office Home & Student 2007 (or anywhere else for that matter).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As far as I know, Star Office files can be opened directly in Excel

I don't know if 2007 supports this or not.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 13:54:03 -0700, SJM
wrote:

I was recently forced to upgrade to a new computer, with Vista installed.
Much of my previous hardware and software won't run under Vista. This
includes Star Office 7. I have a number of documents and spreadsheets, that
I need to view. Is there a free convertion utility, that will let me read
them in MS Office Home & Student 2007 (or anywhere else for that matter).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm not sure if this will work or not either as I haven't tried the latest
version of OpenOffice - available free from www.openoffice.org -- but the
price is right for giving it a try.

"SJM" wrote:

I was recently forced to upgrade to a new computer, with Vista installed.
Much of my previous hardware and software won't run under Vista. This
includes Star Office 7. I have a number of documents and spreadsheets, that
I need to view. Is there a free convertion utility, that will let me read
them in MS Office Home & Student 2007 (or anywhere else for that matter).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In article , Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca wrote:
As far as I know, Star Office files can be opened directly in Excel

I don't know if 2007 supports this or not.

If the OP still has star office, just 'save as' an xls file from that. If
not, ... well, you could get a version of star office (or open office) which
runs on vista, open the files with that and again, 'save as' ...

HTH