Junior Member

Default Matching people to skills.

Hello, Apart from being a casual user of Excel, using a Forum is also new so, if you feel I have posted this query in the wrong place please advise. Thanks.

A group of us (75 people) volunteer FOC to marshal and support motor events - racing, rallying etc. As a group, we have a number of different skills (50 approx) - fire fighting, cutting, electrical, mechanical etc at 3 different levels of experience - beginner, intermediate and advanced. We group these skills together into 'packages' e.g. ‘Rescue’ includes 4 skills some of which are also used in other ‘packages’ So, down my left column I have 75 people and across the top line I have 20 'Packages' with about 5 skills in each one - I have a separate column for each skill which I hide or unhide using??? I think its called grouping i.e. I click the + above the Heading and the other columns appear – technical explanation not great!

Ok, now my problem - when a person moves from beginner to semi skilled in say fire fighting and I update their individual record, I would like Excel to automatically update all the ‘packages' that this skill is included in. i.e. instead of me having to open up each package and then update the ‘skill’. Or, do I need to use Database instead.?

If the above doesn’t make sense please tell me and I will try harder! Thank you for your help, Nigel
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
[...]

Hi Nigel,

I think it makes sense but would be far easier to help out if we could see an example workbook.

Feel free to anonymise it by just turning them into "name 1", "name 2" etc.
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer101 View Post
Hi Nigel,

I think it makes sense but would be far easier to help out if we could see an example workbook.

Feel free to anonymise it by just turning them into "name 1", "name 2" etc.
Hi Spencer, Firstly, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated. Next, I am confused - as suggested I have just tried uploading a stripped down version of the workbook but xls files are not accepted according to the 'manage attachment'. Am I doing something wrong?! Or do I need to convert the workbook into a word doc first?
Thanks
Nigel
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
Hi Spencer, Firstly, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much appreciated. Next, I am confused - as suggested I have just tried uploading a stripped down version of the workbook but xls files are not accepted according to the 'manage attachment'. Am I doing something wrong?! Or do I need to convert the workbook into a word doc first?
Thanks
Nigel
Hi Nigel, sorry for the delay in replying. I was out with the kids.

To post the file on this forum you'll need to add it to a zip file. Or you can email it to me on pubnut @ gmail .com (no spaces).
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On 11/08/2012 10:38 PM, NigelG wrote:
Spencer101;1604503 Wrote:
Hi Nigel,

I think it makes sense but would be far easier to help out if we could
see an example workbook.

Feel free to anonymise it by just turning them into "name 1", "name 2"
etc.

Hi Spencer, Firstly, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply, much
appreciated. Next, I am confused - as suggested I have just tried
uploading a stripped down version of the workbook but xls files are not
accepted according to the 'manage attachment'. Am I doing something
wrong?! Or do I need to convert the workbook into a word doc first?
Thanks
Nigel

Hi Nigel

You have to upload it to a File Sharing site such as ExcelBanter or
similar site. You cannot attached files in NG's.

Cheers
Mick.