Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Some basic excel skills...

I am at a loss and on a deadline with my boss... I even got a few
Excel books but apparently the wrong ones.

I have two columns of data with part numbers, and a price. What I
want to do is paste the second column in from another worksheet so
that Excel matches up one column with the other, and if there are
"blanks" it knows to just put the part numbers next to the ones they
belong to.

Example:

A B C (B and C are pasted from
another worksheet)
PARTA PARTA $5.00
PARTC1
PARTZX PARTZX $7.00
PART07
PART5T
PARTRR PARTRR $99.00

We're talking thousands of rows. How can this be easily accomplished?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In B1
=if(iserror(match(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",Vlookup(A1: Sheet2!A:B,1,False))
In C1
=if(iserror(match(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",Vlookup(A1: Sheet2!A:B,1,False))
select B1:C1 and drag fill down.

this assumes the data in B and C in your example is in columns A and B of
Sheet2. Adjust to match your layout.

Tom Ogilvy

"comp.databases.pick" wrote:

I am at a loss and on a deadline with my boss... I even got a few
Excel books but apparently the wrong ones.

I have two columns of data with part numbers, and a price. What I
want to do is paste the second column in from another worksheet so
that Excel matches up one column with the other, and if there are
"blanks" it knows to just put the part numbers next to the ones they
belong to.

Example:

A B C (B and C are pasted from
another worksheet)
PARTA PARTA $5.00
PARTC1
PARTZX PARTZX $7.00
PART07
PART5T
PARTRR PARTRR $99.00

We're talking thousands of rows. How can this be easily accomplished?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Keep the worksheet separtae and use a formula on the first sheet like

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"",VLOOKUP(A1,She et2!A:B,2,False)

and copy down

--
HTH

Bob