Spencer101 Spencer101 is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelG View Post
Hello, Apart from being a casual user of Excel, using a Forum is also new so, if you feel I have posted this query in the wrong place please advise. Thanks.

A group of us (75 people) volunteer FOC to marshal and support motor events - racing, rallying etc. As a group, we have a number of different skills (50 approx) - fire fighting, cutting, electrical, mechanical etc at 3 different levels of experience - beginner, intermediate and advanced. We group these skills together into 'packages' e.g. ‘Rescue’ includes 4 skills some of which are also used in other ‘packages’ So, down my left column I have 75 people and across the top line I have 20 'Packages' with about 5 skills in each one - I have a separate column for each skill which I hide or unhide using??? I think its called grouping i.e. I click the + above the Heading and the other columns appear – technical explanation not great!

Ok, now my problem - when a person moves from beginner to semi skilled in say fire fighting and I update their individual record, I would like Excel to automatically update all the ‘packages' that this skill is included in. i.e. instead of me having to open up each package and then update the ‘skill’. Or, do I need to use Database instead.?

If the above doesn’t make sense please tell me and I will try harder! Thank you for your help, Nigel
Hi Nigel,

I think it makes sense but would be far easier to help out if we could see an example workbook.

Feel free to anonymise it by just turning them into "name 1", "name 2" etc.