Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KR KR is offline

Default Newbie add-in questions

I'm testing in some sample workbooks to see what code will get me a desired
result. I want to have my workbook open/load an XLA file from a network
drive, but to "leave it there" and not install a local copy of the add-in.
My primary purpose in keeping the add-in on the network instead of local is
so that if I make changes to the network copy, all linked workbooks will use
the updated code automatically.

(1) When I use the following code, it makes a local copy in my add-ins
directory, which isn't what I want:
AddIns.Add("\\Networkpath\MyTest.xla").Installed = True
so I tried to install without adding it:
AddIns("\\Networkpath\MyTest.xla").Installed = True
but it gives me a subscript out of range error. Is it possible to load
an add-in from a network location without making a local copy? If so, how do
I need to change my syntax in the second line of code, above?

(2) Are addins read-only by default? Can I have multiple users using the
same network copy of the add-in at the same time (like I can with read-only
XLS files) without changing any settings, or do I need to somehow mark the
add-in as read-only? This is one that is harder for me to test myself, since
I only have one PC and one login ID for our network- I'm hoping someone will
already know and keep me from flubbing this up by making bad assumptions.

Many thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

dont try and add it to the addins list, just open the xla as though it was
an ordinary workbook.

You might also want to look at my automatically reversioning addin loader:
download from
http://www.DecisionModels.com/Downloads.htm

--
Charles