Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default Newbie Questions ?

Hello,

Thanks for previous help; really appreciate it.
Two questions, please:

a. Copied a column of frequencies from a radio database into Excel 2007

Copied fine, but the numbers in the Excel column have a * preceding each
number.

What does this signify, or it just an artifact from the copying ?

b. I have numbers in column C that are derived by dividing each number in
column B by a constant.
I would now like to "save" what I have just generated in C, but would like
to eliminate all the numbers in B

As soon as I eliminate column B, column C is naturally no longer correct as
it is derived, each number, from
B.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

a) Unless you've done something with the cell formatting, it's an
artifact.

b) Copy column C. Choose Edit/Paste Special, selecting the Values radio
button. Delete Column B.

BTW) There's really no list needed - any additional characters would be
applied by cell formatting. Look in Format/Cells/Number for the built-in
options.

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

Hello,

Thanks for previous help; really appreciate it.
Two questions, please:

a. Copied a column of frequencies from a radio database into Excel 2007

Copied fine, but the numbers in the Excel column have a * preceding each
number.

What does this signify, or it just an artifact from the copying ?

b. I have numbers in column C that are derived by dividing each number in
column B by a constant.
I would now like to "save" what I have just generated in C, but would like
to eliminate all the numbers in B

As soon as I eliminate column B, column C is naturally no longer correct as
it is derived, each number, from
B.

What should I do ?

BTW: is there a listing someplace for symbols, etc., that Excel might put
in before or after numbers for whatever reason, and the reason for doing so
?

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Hi,
To your question B, in order to keep values in column C highlight column C,
do Copy, don't move and do Paste Special , Values. Now you can delete
information in column B

To your question A, I assume you brought that # from a data base and it come
as text with the * in front of each #. If you need to ride off it, you can
select the column, then CTRL H, where it says find what enter *, go to
replace with, don't enter anything and press replace all