Eric

Default newbie questions

I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
B: any other date besides today but earlier than today and only the
first instance of that including duplicates - yellow
C: always ignore the time in this field and when doing the
comparison just use the date.

Finally, is there anything resembling a hierarchy of stuff? I mean, some
kind of org chart or list showing the methods, properties, and events
attached to each item on the tree of excel? ie: what methods properties
events etc are part of Worksheet? are part of Cells , Are part of workbook?
Are part of a textbox? etc etc, with that it should be easy to browse and
figure out what you want to do and at least make an educated guess as to
the syntax to use. Without it your just wild ass guessing and drawing only
from what you already know without any hope of doing something new.
Thanks for your patience,
Eric
Peo Sjoblom

1. If you used a button from the forms toolbar you can just right click it,
select assign macro and click edit

2. Click in the text box, click in the formula bar, type = and click in the
cell with the date. I don't think a timer is a good idea, here's a link though

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

3. Take a look at formatconditional formatting for colouring cells/fonts
based on conditions (up to 3, 4 is non event is one conditions as well)

4. Don't ask too many questions at once. It's better that you ask one
question, test out the answer, post another question and so on..

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Eric" wrote:

I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
B: any other date besides today but earlier than today and only the
first instance of that including duplicates - yellow
C: always ignore the time in this field and when doing the
comparison just use the date.

Finally, is there anything resembling a hierarchy of stuff? I mean, some
kind of org chart or list showing the methods, properties, and events
attached to each item on the tree of excel? ie: what methods properties
events etc are part of Worksheet? are part of Cells , Are part of workbook?
Are part of a textbox? etc etc, with that it should be easy to browse and
figure out what you want to do and at least make an educated guess as to
the syntax to use. Without it your just wild ass guessing and drawing only
from what you already know without any hope of doing something new.
Thanks for your patience,
Eric

Questions about MS Word [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 January 13th 05 03:49 AM
Newbie question Doh New Users to Excel 5 December 16th 04 09:31 PM
2 Questions Beth Excel Worksheet Functions 3 December 1st 04 06:01 PM
Newbie: How to round down to the lowest 5 Sam Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 8th 04 06:06 AM
Find & Replace questions David Excel Worksheet Functions 1 November 2nd 04 06:41 PM