Doh

Default Newbie question

Please help, I'm a total Excel newbie. I need to create a spreadsheet that
works pretty much like a checkbook register. I need to be able to make daily
entries of deposits and withdrawals (dollar amounts) and keep a running
balance. I don't want the balance column to extend all the way down the
worksheet either zero (if that's the current balance) or the most recent
balance . Excel help on "Calculate the running balance" says to "copy this
formula into the current balance cell for each new transaction." Is there a
way to extend the formula without having to copy and paste it with each new
transaction? I'll have several identical worksheets for a number of different
accounts. Btw, I'm using Excel 2000. Thanks in advance for your help.
Steve H.

This might be what your loking for:

If you have your Deposits in A2, withdrawls in B2, adjsutments in C2, and
begining balance in D2, put the following in D3 and copy down:

=IF(OR(A3<0,B3<0,C3<0),D2+A3-B3+C3,"")

To work adjustments have to be entered as negative amounts or positive
amounts.

"Doh" wrote in message
Please help, I'm a total Excel newbie. I need to create a spreadsheet that
works pretty much like a checkbook register. I need to be able to make

daily
entries of deposits and withdrawals (dollar amounts) and keep a running
balance. I don't want the balance column to extend all the way down the
worksheet either zero (if that's the current balance) or the most recent
balance . Excel help on "Calculate the running balance" says to "copy this
formula into the current balance cell for each new transaction." Is there

way to extend the formula without having to copy and paste it with each

new
transaction? I'll have several identical worksheets for a number of

different
accounts. Btw, I'm using Excel 2000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Doh

Steve,
I tried your formula and it looks like it works except that it doesn't show
zero in the current balance row. I withdrew the current balance and it just
leaves the cell empty. I'd like it to show zero only for the current days
entry. Thanks.

"Doh" wrote in message
Please help, I'm a total Excel newbie. I need to create a spreadsheet that
works pretty much like a checkbook register. I need to be able to make

daily
entries of deposits and withdrawals (dollar amounts) and keep a running
balance. I don't want the balance column to extend all the way down the
worksheet either zero (if that's the current balance) or the most recent
balance . Excel help on "Calculate the running balance" says to "copy this
formula into the current balance cell for each new transaction." Is there

way to extend the formula without having to copy and paste it with each

new
transaction? I'll have several identical worksheets for a number of

different
accounts. Btw, I'm using Excel 2000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

Hi
If you want another option try this:
In D1 put your starting balance
In A2 put a description, ( car payment, deposit,etc)
In B2 put your deposit, if there is one.
In C2 put your withdrawal, again, if there is one
In D2 put this formula and copy down as far as you like:
=IF(A2="","",IF(B20,D1+B2,IF(C20,D1-C2,D1)))

The only condition is that there is only one entry per line, in other words
you can't put a deposit and a withdrawal in on the same line !!

HTH
Michael

"Doh" wrote:

Please help, I'm a total Excel newbie. I need to create a spreadsheet that
works pretty much like a checkbook register. I need to be able to make daily
entries of deposits and withdrawals (dollar amounts) and keep a running
balance. I don't want the balance column to extend all the way down the
worksheet either zero (if that's the current balance) or the most recent
balance . Excel help on "Calculate the running balance" says to "copy this
formula into the current balance cell for each new transaction." Is there a
way to extend the formula without having to copy and paste it with each new
transaction? I'll have several identical worksheets for a number of different
accounts. Btw, I'm using Excel 2000. Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve H.

The formula I showed will return no value unless there is activity for that
row. Try this:

=IF(OR(A4<0,B4<0,C4<0),D3+A4-B4+C4,"0")

If that does not do what you are seeking maybe the formula Michael provided
will work. If not Frank or one of the more experienced users can probably
help.

Sorry.