Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Newbie - two questions

Hello,

I have two questions and a comment.

Comment: Thanks to those that have been good enough to answer my questions so
far.

Question #1: I am building my first Excel userform. I have put some
commandbuttons on the form. One for "New record" one for "Save changes" and one
for "Print this record." Only problem is I have no idea what code to put behind
them. I would greatly appreciate y'alls help once again....

Question #2: Which command reference is the best? O'Reilly's?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bill Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bill,

#1 I think we need some more details here. Where will the new go, is it a
row in a worksheet, is it a record to a real (e,g. SQL Server) database, or
what. And what is it to be saved, and what to be printed . Give as much
detail as you can as to what your objectives are.

#2 This is subjective. Personally, I like Green, Bullen, Bovey et al's Excel
2002 VBA Programmer's Reference Manual. Don't mean to be rude, but you might
find that a bit heavy at the moment, and might be better to look at John
Walkenbach's Excel 2000 For Dummies, and hitting these NGs of course. Move
up to John Green's book later, or John Walkenbach's Excel 2003 Power
Programming.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bill Burke" wrote in message
Hello,

I have two questions and a comment.

Comment: Thanks to those that have been good enough to answer my questions

so
far.

Question #1: I am building my first Excel userform. I have put some
commandbuttons on the form. One for "New record" one for "Save changes"

and one
for "Print this record." Only problem is I have no idea what code to put

behind
them. I would greatly appreciate y'alls help once again....

Question #2: Which command reference is the best? O'Reilly's?

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Bill Burke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bob,

Thank you for your reply. The information entered into the userform will be
inserted into the worksheet at the bottom. I would like to be able to print the
"record" currently in the userform.

I have no problem with the dummies books.... thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Bill Burke

In article , Bob Phillips says...

Hi Bill,

#1 I think we need some more details here. Where will the new go, is it a
row in a worksheet, is it a record to a real (e,g. SQL Server) database, or
what. And what is it to be saved, and what to be printed . Give as much
detail as you can as to what your objectives are.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

How to use Visual Basic for Applications examples to control UserForms in
Microsoft Excel

http://www.microsoft.com/ExcelDev/Articles/sxs11pt1.htm
Lesson 11: Creating a Custom Form
Excerpted from Microsoft® Excel 97 Visual Basic® Step by Step.

John Walkenbach Form
http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=168067
XL97: WE1163: "Visual Basic Examples for Controlling UserForms"

Microsoft(R) Visual Basic(R) for Applications Examples for Controlling
UserForms in Microsoft Excel 97

This Application Note is an introduction to manipulating UserForms in
Microsoft Excel 97. It includes examples and Microsoft Visual Basic for
Applications macros that show you how to take advantage of the capabilities
of UserForms and use each of the ActiveX controls that are available for
UserForms

XL97: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

XL2000: How to Use a UserForm for Entering Data

John Walkenbach's site:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/tips/userformtips.htm
Userform Tips

Peter Aiken Articles:

watch word wrap. the URL should all be one line.
Part I
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...FormsPartI.asp
Part II
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...ormsPartII.asp

Tom Ogilvy

"Bill Burke" wrote in message
Bob,

Thank you for your reply. The information entered into the userform will

be
inserted into the worksheet at the bottom. I would like to be able to

print the
"record" currently in the userform.

I have no problem with the dummies books.... thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks,
Bill Burke

In article , Bob Phillips says...

Hi Bill,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill,

These are excellent suggestions from Tom as always, and will give you plenty
to read before you need to hit any books, but post back if you get stuck, or
still need help with the form. I will knock up a little demo to give you if
you wish.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips