Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KS KS is offline

Default Newbie Questions

Hey all,

I need some help... got thrown into a project that I dont know much about.

I need to compare one date column in worksheed A to another date column in
worksheet B and pull in a dollar value from worksheet A to an empty column in
worksheet B. Also, the dollar value needs to be sumed (by date) before it
gets to the new column.

I hope that makes sense...Please!!! someone help me.

I am not an excel person, I write SQL.

THANKS in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's unclear, but I think you've been asked to generate some SUMIF formulas.
Rewritten, you're wanting to look at Sheet A, and in a certain column, find
all dates matching your criteria from Sheet B, and then sum the associated
dollar value with those dates?

Assuming on Sheet A column A contains dates, and column B contains the
dollars, and on sheet B first date you want info on is in A2, place this into
B2 of sheet B:

=SUMIF('Sheet A'!$A:$A,A2,'Sheet A'!$B:$B)

Copy formula down as needed.

If this situation is NOT your situation, perhaps you could try to explain
again what you want, or post examples of what you have, and what you would
like to see?

--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"KS" wrote:

Hey all,

I need some help... got thrown into a project that I dont know much about.

I need to compare one date column in worksheed A to another date column in
worksheet B and pull in a dollar value from worksheet A to an empty column in
worksheet B. Also, the dollar value needs to be sumed (by date) before it
gets to the new column.

I hope that makes sense...Please!!! someone help me.

I am not an excel person, I write SQL.

THANKS in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I need to compare one date column in worksheed A to another date
column in worksheet B and pull in a dollar value from worksheet A to
an empty column in worksheet B. Also, the dollar value needs to be
sumed (by date) before it gets to the new column.

Suppose in worksheet A the dates are in column A and the corresponding
amounts in column B.

In worksheet B cell A1, put the earliest date:
=MIN(A!A:A)

In worksheet B cell A2, put the day after that:
=IF(A1=MAX(A!A:A),"",A1+1)

Extend worksheet B cell A2 down as far as potentially needed -- the maximum
possible number of days in the calendar range. Notice that blanks appear
after the last date actually used; this is from the "IF" in the formula.

In worksheet B cell B1, put the sum of amounts for the date in A1:
=IF(A1="","",SUMIF(A!A:A,B!A1,A!B:B))

Extend worksheet B cell B1 down as far as column A goes. Notice that the
sum is zero for unused dates.

Hope this gives a start.