Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
KR KR is offline

Default Newbie add-in questions

I'm testing in some sample workbooks to see what code will get me a desired
result. I want to have my workbook open/load an XLA file from a network
drive, but to "leave it there" and not install a local copy of the add-in.
My primary purpose in keeping the add-in on the network instead of local is
so that if I make changes to the network copy, all linked workbooks will use
the updated code automatically.

(1) When I use the following code, it makes a local copy in my add-ins
directory, which isn't what I want:
AddIns.Add("\\Networkpath\MyTest.xla").Installed = True
so I tried to install without adding it:
AddIns("\\Networkpath\MyTest.xla").Installed = True
but it gives me a subscript out of range error. Is it possible to load
an add-in from a network location without making a local copy? If so, how do
I need to change my syntax in the second line of code, above?

(2) Are addins read-only by default? Can I have multiple users using the
same network copy of the add-in at the same time (like I can with read-only
XLS files) without changing any settings, or do I need to somehow mark the
add-in as read-only? This is one that is harder for me to test myself, since
I only have one PC and one login ID for our network- I'm hoping someone will
already know and keep me from flubbing this up by making bad assumptions.

Many thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my