Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheetfunctions,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default newbie questions

I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
B: any other date besides today but earlier than today and only the
first instance of that including duplicates - yellow
C: always ignore the time in this field and when doing the
comparison just use the date.

Finally, is there anything resembling a hierarchy of stuff? I mean, some
kind of org chart or list showing the methods, properties, and events
attached to each item on the tree of excel? ie: what methods properties
events etc are part of Worksheet? are part of Cells , Are part of workbook?
Are part of a textbox? etc etc, with that it should be easy to browse and
figure out what you want to do and at least make an educated guess as to
the syntax to use. Without it your just wild ass guessing and drawing only
from what you already know without any hope of doing something new.
Thanks for your patience,
Eric
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Eric,

1) Right-click on the sheet tab, select View code from there, and see if the
code is in the window that pops up

2) Use conditional formatting (all these examples assume you select your
range, and it starts in B1
A: formula of =B1=TODAY(), select patter and choose green
B: formula of =AND(B1<TODAY(),COUNTIF($B$1:B1,B1)=1), shoose the yellow

3) Look at the object browser in the VBE, and look for Microsoft Excel
Objects in VBA help

--

HTH

RP

"Eric" wrote in message
I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i

cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the

text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the

background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Eric

see answers in-line below

"Eric" wrote in message
I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i
cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

depends on how you created the button ... but try right mouse clicking and
you should see ASSIGN MACRO or similar. So just create your macro in a
module in the VBE Window and then assign it this way. IF you can't see
anything resembling assign macro, let us know how you created the button.
Note: If by "i built a sheet" you mean created a userform (insert/userform)
you get code onto the buttons by double clicking on them.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

where is the text box ... if it's on a worksheet (created by using the
drawing toolbar) ... you can do this by using a cell somewhere on the sheet
that you can format the font white and can ignore. In that cell type =NOW()
and then click on the text box, click in the formula bar and type =A1 (or
whatever the cell reference is) ... to get it to update regularly you'll
need a timer type macro - i don't have one to hand, however a google search
should turn one up or i'm sure someone can provide one for you.

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the
background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
B: any other date besides today but earlier than today and only the
first instance of that including duplicates - yellow
C: always ignore the time in this field and when doing the
comparison just use the date.

not 100% sure on this one

Finally, is there anything resembling a hierarchy of stuff? I mean, some
kind of org chart or list showing the methods, properties, and events
attached to each item on the tree of excel? ie: what methods properties
events etc are part of Worksheet? are part of Cells , Are part of
workbook?
Are part of a textbox? etc etc, with that it should be easy to browse and
figure out what you want to do and at least make an educated guess as to
the syntax to use. Without it your just wild ass guessing and drawing only
from what you already know without any hope of doing something new.

in the VBE window have a look at view / object browser or under help search
for excel object module.

Thanks for your patience,

hope others will fill in the blank ... just a note though, when posting to
the ng it is best just to ask one question each post as it makes it easier
for people reading & replying to them.

Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

1. If you used a button from the forms toolbar you can just right click it,
select assign macro and click edit

2. Click in the text box, click in the formula bar, type = and click in the
cell with the date. I don't think a timer is a good idea, here's a link though

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/ontime.htm

3. Take a look at formatconditional formatting for colouring cells/fonts
based on conditions (up to 3, 4 is non event is one conditions as well)

4. Don't ask too many questions at once. It's better that you ask one
question, test out the answer, post another question and so on..

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Eric" wrote:

I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green
B: any other date besides today but earlier than today and only the
first instance of that including duplicates - yellow
C: always ignore the time in this field and when doing the
comparison just use the date.

Finally, is there anything resembling a hierarchy of stuff? I mean, some
kind of org chart or list showing the methods, properties, and events
attached to each item on the tree of excel? ie: what methods properties
events etc are part of Worksheet? are part of Cells , Are part of workbook?
Are part of a textbox? etc etc, with that it should be easy to browse and
figure out what you want to do and at least make an educated guess as to
the syntax to use. Without it your just wild ass guessing and drawing only
from what you already know without any hope of doing something new.
Thanks for your patience,
Eric

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
No Name

if you're new with Excel; run away while you still can

learn Access-- you can build a report once instead of copying and pasting
the same report 100 times.

LoL

"Eric" wrote in message
I'm new at excel so bear with me.
I built a sheet and it has a button i attached some vba code to. Now i

cant
get back to that code, the button still works ok but i want to add some
code beyond what is there

First...
How do i get back to the code attached to the button? When i do
tools/macros/vb editor the code isn't there, nor is the routine
listed in either of the procedure drop down boxes.

Next...
I have a text box, can i set up a formula to put the date/time in the

text
box (or with a macro) can it refresh on a timer (say once per minute?)?

Next...
One column in my sheet has date/times in it, i want to color the

background
of the cells in that column based on certain criteria:
A: if the date is the same as today - green