Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Importing data

HJ,

Ask the JDEdwards people how to export data to a CSV file, a .TXT file, or a
..PRN file. Excel will open any of those once they exist, so it's simply a
matter of getting the data out of JDE first.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"HJ" wrote in message
Bear with me here, I am not a technical person, I have a finance

background so this is all new to me!

My company will be going through a JDEdwards ERP implementation and I have

been asked if it is possible to import data from JDE to Excel (in order to
create pivot tables for data analysis). My first query would be on the
general ledger. It sounds like I would be able to do some type of download
or import but like I mentioned, this is all way over my head.

I was wondering is anyone could give me some general background on how

this works and if you had any tips on how I could further educate myself on
the subject and technical lingo.

Thanks much for your help.

HJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bernie

I will do that, thanks for your help

----- Bernie Deitrick wrote: ----

HJ

Ask the JDEdwards people how to export data to a CSV file, a .TXT file, or
..PRN file. Excel will open any of those once they exist, so it's simply
matter of getting the data out of JDE first

HTH
Berni
MS Excel MV

"HJ" wrote in messag
..
Bear with me here, I am not a technical person, I have a financ

background so this is all new to me
My company will be going through a JDEdwards ERP implementation and I hav

been asked if it is possible to import data from JDE to Excel (in order t
create pivot tables for data analysis). My first query would be on th
general ledger. It sounds like I would be able to do some type of downloa
or import but like I mentioned, this is all way over my head
I was wondering is anyone could give me some general background on ho

this works and if you had any tips on how I could further educate myself o
the subject and technical lingo
Thanks much for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

HJ

Also, ask them if they supply an ODBC driver (Open DataBase Connectivity).
If they do, you can use Data - Get External Data from within Excel to query
the JDE table directly. Also, if Pivot Tables are your aim, you can create
a pivot table based on External Data (as opposed to putting the query
results on a sheet, then pivoting that data).

If you can use External Data tables, you can eliminate one step, namely
exporting from JDE.

If they are ODBC enabled, I have some information on my website

www.dicks-click.com/excel/ExternalData.htm

that will help you get started.

--
Dick Kusleika
MVP - Excel

"HJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Dick,

You're just gonna hafta remember your website's real name..... <vbg

http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/ExternalData.htm

Bernie
MS Excel MVP