Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Importing:Data Connection Wizard Doesn't see Source Data - No Impo

I created System DSN using the Microsoft Excel Driver version
12.00.4518.1014. The workbook that I used a source is a Microsoft Excel
97-2003 XLS workbook. It has a table with 3 columns and 2 rows inside. This
table is created on a user Sheet (not the system sheets 1-3).
The database version I selected is 97-2000. The driver is set to scan 8 rows
with read-only checked off. The data source is given the name UserDB.

1. Now I check if I can import this data into Excel. I fire up Excel 2007,
select Data|From Other Sources|From Data Connection Wizard
On the Welcome page of the Data Connection Wizard I select ODBC DNS and
click Next. On the Connect to ODBC Data Source I select the UserDB data
source and click Next. And€¦. On the Select Database and Table wizard page I
see nothing in the Connect to a specific table list! It's empty. Okay, I
check the Connect to a specific table list checkbox off and click Finish. And
I get the This data source contains no visible tables message! So after
finishing with data import I get nothing imported!

2. So what I do next.
In Excel, I select Data|Existing Connections. In the Existing Connections
dialog box I click Browse for More, choose the XLS database file used as the
data source and receive the Select Table dialog box. I see there the same
list as I see on the Select Database and Table wizard page but now it's
filled with data. I click OK and get the Import Data dialog box. I click
Properties and get the Connection Properties dialog box opened to me. In the
Connection Properties dialog box I switch to the Definition tab and click the
Export Connection File button. I save the file as UserDB.odc. No I close the
wizard, open the %userprofile%\my documents\my data sources folder with
Windows Explorer and locate the saved UserDB.odc file. I double-click it and
open it with Excel. I answer Enable on the Microsoft Office Excel Security
Notice dialog box and voila! I get the data imported into my new Excel
workbook!!!

So the questions a

1. How do I import the same data with Data Connection Wizard in bullet 1???
The thing is I need to import the data with another program that (I believe)
does really that what the Data Connection Wizard does. Since the Data
Connection Wizard sees no tables and data inside, I think the program gets
the same result as I cannot make it work.
2. What's the difference between what' s done in bullet 1 when I used Data
Connection Wizard and bullet 2 when I imported the connection file and
imported the data using this file?

Thank you in advance. Hoping for your help as I do really need it.

Yours,
Stanislav.

P.S. I realized that I first posted the question to Access group. So I am
copying it here.