Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Upgrade

Hi Folks,

Want to up grade from Excel 97-SR-2 to Excel 2002, but
want to preserve Excel 97-SR-2 completely and be able to
run it independantly of the upgrade. Is this possible? Do
I need a special directory? I have many macros in the
older version, which I will need to keep and be able to
work on in that version, but would like to be able to
upgrade and transfer many of the macroes to the new
version and learn of the new capabilities.

Thanks,
David
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi David!

Yes it is possible!

During the installation you'll be asked if you want to replace the
existing version or install as a standalone copy.

Also you will be given a choice of directory to install the Excel
2002. At various times I've done both; accepted the directory provided
and given a new directory such as Excel XP. Neither have produced
problems but I think that the recommended approach is to provide a new
directory. Some prefer to keep the versions in separate partitions /
drives but I've not tried it.

In any event, I have 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 all running quite sweetly
on the same computer.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

available free to good homes.
"David" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Want to up grade from Excel 97-SR-2 to Excel 2002, but
want to preserve Excel 97-SR-2 completely and be able to
run it independantly of the upgrade. Is this possible? Do
I need a special directory? I have many macros in the
older version, which I will need to keep and be able to
work on in that version, but would like to be able to
upgrade and transfer many of the macroes to the new
version and learn of the new capabilities.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When running the Office install, select Custom and this will give you the
choice of removing or keeping existing versions on Office components.

--
Patrick Molloy
Microsoft Excel MVP
"David" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Want to up grade from Excel 97-SR-2 to Excel 2002, but
want to preserve Excel 97-SR-2 completely and be able to
run it independantly of the upgrade. Is this possible? Do
I need a special directory? I have many macros in the
older version, which I will need to keep and be able to
work on in that version, but would like to be able to
upgrade and transfer many of the macroes to the new
version and learn of the new capabilities.

Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

David,
Here is a list of guidelines I put together before, during and after my
install of Office97 and OfficeXP. Most of it is my adaptation of tips from
Chip Pearson and the public.office.setup forum...

When installing / using multiple versions of MS suites or applications:

1. Install the oldest version first
2. Install in a separate folder, directory or partition.
3. If you want to keep your start menu shortcuts then rename them
before installing a newer version.
4. Do a custom install and do not overwrite/replace the older
versions. However...
5. Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a single operating
system.
6. You should specify the default version of each application by
registering it using 'Start | Run'. If you don't register the
application then the last version installed becomes the default.

(Enter the full file path and name of the program, note that
/regserver is outside the quote marks.)
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe" /regserver
The above will register Excel 97 as the default on most systems -
change the file path / file name as appropriate.

7. Do Not run multiple application versions at the same time.
Close one before opening the other.
8. MS knowledge base articles follow in no particular order:
292491 -
Office Automation When Multiple Versions of Office Are Installed
290576 -
OffXP: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
218861 -
Off2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Office
214388 -
XL2000: Running Multiple Versions of Microsoft Excel
292584 -
OffXP: Setup Overwrites Start Menu Items from Earlier Versions of office
210391 -
Off2000: Setup May Remove Older Components

(Just in case)
233499 -
How To Change the Company Name and User Name After Setup
290528 -
HowTo: Change the Company Name and User Name in an Office XP Program
280546:
User Name And Company Name In Splash Screen Different From Names In
"About" Dialog Box

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, CA
XX

"David" wrote in message
Hi Folks,

Want to up grade from Excel 97-SR-2 to Excel 2002, but
want to preserve Excel 97-SR-2 completely and be able to
run it independantly of the upgrade. Is this possible? Do
I need a special directory? I have many macros in the
older version, which I will need to keep and be able to
work on in that version, but would like to be able to
upgrade and transfer many of the macroes to the new
version and learn of the new capabilities.
Thanks,
David

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have xl95,xl97sr2,xl2002 all running on an xp home machine. Of course,
install into separate directories. You should be able to use your xl97 files
successfully on xl2002. You do not need to duplicate or move your data
files.

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software