Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default ToolsAutoCorrect options...Where's this data file on my PC?

Hello Excellers,

The AutoCorrect function has proven to be an amazing time-saver for my
company. We use it to enter customer names and even complete addresses
w/ phone #s etc. into our spreadsheets.

For example: just by typing a three letter code like *jsk* and then
hitting ENTER (or spacebar or any punctuation), it saves us from typing
John Smith Kitchens, Inc. And by entering *jsk1*, we've got Excel
correcting it as:

John Smith Kitchens, Inc.
123 Main Street
Theirtown, NH 55555
(603)555-5555 Phone
(603)555-5556 Fax

Entering the 100+ company names & addresses took some time up front but
was worth every keystroke for the time it is saving us now.
_The_problem_is_this...I'd_like_to_import_this_Aut oCorrect_data_into_other_PC's_in_our_office,_but_I _don't_know_if_there_is_a_way_to_do_it._Is_there_a _way_to_export_this_data_or_locate_the_hidden_data _file_on_the_1st_PC_and_drop_it_in_the_next_PC_in_ the_appropriate_place_where_Excel_will_find_it?_

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

Troy

(BTW: Most of our PCs are using Windows XP and Excel 2003 with the
exception of 1 using W2000 and 1 using W98.)

--
Douglas23
Douglas23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36177

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

Search for files named *.acl

I have 6 files, some with different names, some with the same name in
different locations.

On my system using Office XP (10) the file name is MSO1033.ACL

Found in:

C:\Documnets and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Office

If you're not sure which one is which.......

Open Excel and open AutoCorrect. Make a temporary "dummy" entry and save it
then use the *.acl file with the most recent date/time stamp. Then you can
delete the "dummy" entry.

Biff

"Douglas23" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Douglas23

Sorry I can't help about your problem as you defined but I thank you to give
me a great tip I knew about auto correct option but didn't realize I can use
this option in this sense
Can you tell me in detail, did you put customers detail in auto correct
list? it would be great help for me.

Thanks

"Douglas23" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Biff told you how to find that .ACL file. But remember if you copy your
autocorrect list on another person's pc, you'll be destroying their list.

This may not be acceptible for lots of people who already have updated their
lists.

Dana DeLouis posted some code that would display the current contents of the
autocorrect list.

You can use his macro to get your list on a worksheet. Then share that workbook
with others. You can then use the second macro to merge your list into their
..ACL file.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?th...%40tkmsftngp03

ps. You may want to back up their .ACL file before you add your stuff--just in
case something bad happens.

Douglas23 wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry for the delayed response.

Thanks to Biff and to Dave Peterson. I learned alot from your helpful
suggestions.

--
Douglas23
Douglas23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36177
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559564

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Samad,

Sorry to respond so late.

In Word, you can add AutoCorrect Options text more easily by doing the
following:

Select the group of text you want by highlighting it in your document
with the curser...from the Tools menu - select _AutoCorrect_Options_
(you should see your text in the "With" box)...now make up a text code
and type it in the "Replace" box and click OK or ADD.

In my Excel version, this will not work. I must type or better yet
PASTE the text into the "Replace" box and "With" box of the
_AutoCorrect_Options_ window.

I hope this helps.

Troy

--
Douglas23
Douglas23's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36177
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=559564

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Douglas23/Troy

I was waiting for your reply Thanks for atleast replying :)

In words it works fine but let me clear; should I select customer's detail
and put code then should select next customer's detail, it will take time, is
there any short way you know?

Secondly in excel it doesn't work as you mention, I select customer's name &
address and paste in autocorrect list but there it paste only name, what I'm
doing wrong? I hope you understand.

Regards
Samad

"Douglas23" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For EXCEL, you must put the name and address in one line of text with
like:

Joe Smith 123 main St., Huston, TX 11555

Highlight that text, copy it, and then paste in the AutoCorrect as I
explained in my previous post.

To load a large group of AutoCorrect data, read the other response to
my earlier post that provides a web address. It was very helpful
explaining the use of Macros to make it faster...but it is not easy.

For WORD, we entered all of the addresses in a long document manually
to do it. I believe you can export address info from your OUTLOOK
contact list into a database, then bring it into a using the Mail Merge
function as if you were doing to make labels.

Hope this helps.