Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
creativeops

Default Importing data over intranet

Hello -
I have an Excel file with several worksheets, all of which contain tables of
data with individual formulas linking to a file on the company intranet which
is the main data source and changes every week. This was working just fine,
except updating the Excel file was taking a longgg time, and finally, I guess
it's gone overboard b/c it tells me 'not enough system resources available at
this time' to update.

What I think I need to do is have basically the entire external data file
import into my Excel file when I update on new sheets that mirror those on
the external data file, so I can make my all of the formulas internal
references. It seems if I could find a way to make a query to pull all the
data into my file at once, so there wouldn't be a million little formulas
reading the file, it would be much more efficient.

I can't figure out how to do this though. With a New database query, I
can't figure out how to insert an http: path to the intranet file. I tried
starting with a local version then changing it in the Macro code, but it
returns 'invalid web address', and when i put single quotes around the path
it says 'cannot import data, object is read only'.

I also tried saving the source file as a .htm & .mht file and reuploading to
the intranet, then using a New web query. The .htm file won't show up in the
query window, and, though the .mht file will show up, when i choose the right
sheet and import, my Excel file says 'this page contains frames, your browser
does not support frames'.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Ross