Crocketty

Default Numerals changing

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

Neil

When you make a font Bold it slightly increases its size, this quite often
makes it too big to fit in the cell, so the ### is displayed.
To fix this, re-size the row height / column width after 'bolding' the font.
If it only happen on some rows, then I'm guessing that those rows are
slightly smaller than the rows it happens on.
To check the row height, highlight the entire row, then right click on the
row number and select 'Row height' and check the differences in the rows.

HTH

Neil
www.nwarwick.co.uk

"Crocketty" wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

Kassie

Move your cursor into the column header area, position it between the
affected column and the next column. You cursor will change shape. Double
clik and you will widen the column to show the data again.

"Crocketty" wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

Dave Peterson

I'd also change the columnwidth to accept the largest value, but you could
format the cell, too:

Format|cells|Alignment tab
check "Shrink to fit"

But it might not look as good.

--

Dave Peterson
Crocketty

Thank you for your reply Dave.
The number size change is not enough to need widening the cell.
My concern is why do the numbers change to a number sign
ie.### when I make them BOLD font.
I keep a Database for a club, and even when making the initial entry
in Bold font, the number I have in column A immediately changes
to ###'s.
Doing a following row with another new member's details, the problem
may not occur with the numerals remaining as they should.
It only happens with the entry in column A.
I hope this info might give you further ideas Dave.

Crocketty wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but
with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only
recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I think you'll find that bolding the numbers does require a little larger
columnwidth. Well, it does for me.

If you widen column A just a bit, you may find that your problem goes away.

Crocketty wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but
with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only
recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Crocketty

No, sorry Dave. That does not seem to be the initial cause.
When the 4 digit number is typed into the cell, it is normal size.
When I change it to BOLD, the 4 numbers disappear and are
replaced by 3 number signs as follows. ###.

If I try to remove the unwanted ###'s, it will do so if I revert
to normal (not bold) font.which is then slightly larger than
normal.
The real problem is finding out why the ###'s appear in the first place.
Thank you Dave for trying to help.

Crocketty wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to
Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form, but
with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only
recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Crocketty

Yes thank you, it does change the ###'s back to numbers.
I understand that now.
I am by not well qualified in Excel. I have all my club records in
Verdana 8 font, but when I am typing a new email address into Excel,
it is showing in size 8 font, but when I leave the cell it jumps to 10
font,
and has to have the hyperlink removed.
Can I have Excel setup so that the entry stays in 8 font and I do not
have to remove the hyperlink each time I enter an address into the page.
Thank you Dave.

Crocketty wrote:

When I enter a 4digit number in Column A and highlight to change to
Bold
font,
the numbers change to 3 number signs ###.
If I change them back to normal font, they return to number form,
but
with
slightly larger numerals
Not all rows have this problem - maybe only 2 in 5. This has only
recently
begun to happen.
Thanking some clever person in anticipation of some advice.
Bye from Crocketty

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

I've never seen the hyperlink get removed if you type in a new (still valid)
email address.

But you can change the way hyperlinks appear by:
Format|Style|Choose hyperlink from the dropdown list
click on modify
go to the Font Tab
and modify it to your heart's content.

===