Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "T. Valko" wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy to
watch a thread for possible follow-ups.

I also like the speed and ease of access.


... is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better in
html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)







  #42   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "Jim Cone" wrote:

I agree with you and Bruce.
However...
the new Answers site could be a winner if it used the Ribbon. <g


Aaarrrgghhh ! (I'm sure that was the response you were looking for :) ).

I worked out a few months ago why I hate the whole ribbon thing idea (it's
at the top and takes up valuable space where my stuff could be), so I asked
how to move it to the side of the window. Seemed like an easy thing ... but
no. Apparently, not only are there only 3 colour "schemes" (another pet hate
:)) ... but the ribon is fixed ! Inconceivable ! :)

  #43   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "Bob Phillips" wrote:
That is a shame Ron, I have enjoyed your contributions. But MS don't care,
there will always be hundreds stepping up even if they aren't up to your
capabilities, and they have shown a blind indifference to those more capable
users amongst us.


Now *that* is an excellent point.

There are many helpful people here, many of them with the mystical 'MVP'
status. :)
Did MS ask anyone that is actually *in* this on line community what they
thought ?
I suspect not, but I look forward to hearing anyone say that this is not so
and that MS consulted widely before announcing these changes.

  #44   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Simon Lloyd wrote:

Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
running then happy days :)


Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
interface off their web site - that they can do).
Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
people adding/creating them again.

Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)

  #45   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "Bob Phillips" wrote:
I get there via my ISP. Eternal September has a free service, I don't know
if they would let you connect.


They let me, so I'd say the chances look good. :) :)





  #46   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 461
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities


On 5/9/2010 7:16 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , "T. wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy to
watch a thread for possible follow-ups.

I also like the speed and ease of access.


.. is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better in
html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)



Everything looks better with ads?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

  #47   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 461
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities


On 5/9/2010 7:40 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , Simon wrote:

Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
running then happy days :)


Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
interface off their web site - that they can do).
Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
people adding/creating them again.

Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)



I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/
  #48   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Jon Peltier wrote:

On 5/9/2010 7:16 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , "T.

wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy to
watch a thread for possible follow-ups.

I also like the speed and ease of access.


.. is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better in
html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)


Everything looks better with ads?


Ah. Perhaps my vision is faulty ? :)

  #49   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Jon Peltier wrote:
On 5/9/2010 7:40 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , Simon

wrote:

Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
running then happy days :)


Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
interface off their web site - that they can do).
Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
people adding/creating them again.

Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)


I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.


Quite. Well, if that really is what they mean, why didn't they just say so ?
Minor damage only if that's the case ... and in some ways, a good thing for
those of us here.

Thanks :)

  #50   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 834
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Everything looks better when we control it!

--

HTH

Bob

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
...

On 5/9/2010 7:16 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , "T.
wrote:
I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The best feature of NNTP ngs from my perspective is that it's very easy
to
watch a thread for possible follow-ups.

I also like the speed and ease of access.


.. is it possible that this is an attempt by MS to kill off a 'text only'
application that doesn't fit with their apparent 'everything looks better
in
html' approach ? An interesting possibility if so - and still wrong. :)



Everything looks better with ads?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/





  #51   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 834
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Yeah, but Simon would want an automated facility to suck all of the posts
into his forum and post back.

--

HTH

Bob

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , "Bob Phillips"
wrote:
I get there via my ISP. Eternal September has a free service, I don't know
if they would let you connect.


They let me, so I'd say the chances look good. :) :)





  #53   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Simon Lloyd wrote:

My forums have both members and newsgroup forums, we have many folk
that come to use the interface with the newsgroups, we use nntp software
to automatically post and retrieve posts from the newsgroups, i don't
think other news readers are configurable to allow automation, but would
be good if we could find one so that the members that use these forums
for the NG interface will still be catered for.


There's *alot* of news software out there, so I'm sure some of it will do
what you are wanting to do ... but suggest you give people some options,
rather than picking something to 'support'.
What is right for one person is nasty for others. :)




  #54   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
GS GS is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 364
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Jim Cone laid this down on his screen :
My opinion is that it is the precursor to abandoning VBA.
We can look forward to the release of VSTO.Not ("VerySlowToOperate.Not") to
handle all Office programming needs. It will require the $499.00 Office
upgrade and a 64 core 16 GHZ processor and Net.Framework 2.234 thru 19.432
installed on your machine. (The 1500 page manual sold separately). The
upside is that it will be almost as fast as VBA. Happy Trails.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA


Well Jim, what does that say for VBA7, expressly created for use with
M$Ox64? I fear you may be right, though?

regards,
Garry


  #55   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 834
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities


"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , Simon Lloyd
wrote:

My forums have both members and newsgroup forums, we have many folk
that come to use the interface with the newsgroups, we use nntp software
to automatically post and retrieve posts from the newsgroups, i don't
think other news readers are configurable to allow automation, but would
be good if we could find one so that the members that use these forums
for the NG interface will still be catered for.


There's *alot* of news software out there, so I'm sure some of it will do
what you are wanting to do ... but suggest you give people some options,
rather than picking something to 'support'.
What is right for one person is nasty for others. :)



You mean as MS are doing?




  #56   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 461
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

All your post are belong to us.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/


On 5/10/2010 4:01 AM, Bob Phillips wrote:
Everything looks better when we control it!

  #57   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 461
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities


On 5/10/2010 12:07 AM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , Jon wrote:
On 5/9/2010 7:40 PM, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
In , Simon

wrote:

Nice thought but i was under the impression that these newsgroups will
be closed once the forums are settled. If they're still going to be
running then happy days :)

Yes, interseting point. I saw that MS said they would 'close' the groups ...
but AFAIK, most NNTP servers don't accept 'remove group' commands from
anyone except themselves. MS may find this more difficult to do thatn they
think (assuming they don't simply mean that they will take the NNTP
interface off their web site - that they can do).
Again, if MS did try to kill off the groups, there would be little to stop
people adding/creating them again.

Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)


I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.


Quite. Well, if that really is what they mean, why didn't they just say so ?
Minor damage only if that's the case ... and in some ways, a good thing for
those of us here.


If that's what they mean, then who wrote the subject line?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/

  #58   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Jon Peltier wrote:
All your post are belong to us.


Ah, now, which organisation had exactly that policy (everything that goes
through our networks we own the rights to forever without paying anything)
for everything sent through its network in any way a year or so back ? It
might have been telecom (a major NZ communications company) or them and a
partner of some sort. Might even have been a MS partner. I can't recall
exactly, but when the terms and conditions of the new "service" were
translated into English (from IT and lawyer speak) I do recall the uproar.
:)



- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://peltiertech.com/


On 5/10/2010 4:01 AM, Bob Phillips wrote:
Everything looks better when we control it!

  #59   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "Bob Phillips" wrote:

"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , Simon Lloyd
wrote:

My forums have both members and newsgroup forums, we have many folk
that come to use the interface with the newsgroups, we use nntp software
to automatically post and retrieve posts from the newsgroups, i don't
think other news readers are configurable to allow automation, but would
be good if we could find one so that the members that use these forums
for the NG interface will still be catered for.

There's *alot* of news software out there, so I'm sure some of it will do
what you are wanting to do ... but suggest you give people some options,
rather than picking something to 'support'.
What is right for one person is nasty for others. :)


You mean as MS are doing?


Yep. That's what I mean. Suggesting there is only one way to do something
with a computer is simply crazy, as "everyone knows" this is simply wrong.
Why they think people will believe it is beyond me.
And it may well be that someone quickly comes up with a "MS forum to
newsgroups translater" of course. :)




  #60   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Jon Peltier wrote:
(snip)
Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)


I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.


Quite. Well, if that really is what they mean, why didn't they just say so ?
Minor damage only if that's the case ... and in some ways, a good thing for
those of us here.


If that's what they mean, then who wrote the subject line?


Ah. That is obviously from marketing. :)



  #61   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , Simon Lloyd wrote:

Brude i don't understand?, the folk who use our forums do not use or
see a newsreader but simply foum posts in a vBulletin community, so if
you mean they have no choice of NG viewer then your right, but then
again they choose to use our forums for the interface as threads seem
easier for them to follow.......depends what you're used to i suppose :)


Yeah I understand that Simon. But I doubt they "choose" to use the web
interface for forums ... I believe that's all they know. And, if like me,
they knew there was a good way to access newsgroups (which the forums are
connected to ?) then that's what they would choose. I suppose there might be
an occasional person that prefers a web interface for this sort of thing.
There's always one, and yes, it does depend on what you are used to. Of
course, if that's all you know, that's what you will prefer. :)

News groups are text. Ascii characters ... and there's plenty of ways to
look at those (news readers) and I'm sure that the vast majority would
prefer one of those if they knew about them.

As an aside, I've been fascinated by the occasional post with something like
... "if you found this helpful please press yes" ... cos we don't see any
buttons here. :) We also get an occasional pile of "stuff", presumably some
left over HTML or other formatting, presumably from some of the the forum
posts.

  #62   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 834
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities


"Bruce Sinclair" wrote
in message ...
In article , Jon Peltier
wrote:
(snip)
Anyone got any more info on what MS really mean here ? :)

I think they mean they will simply turn off their own nntp servers. As
you say, they can't control the presence of these groups on the whole
nntp/usenet network.

Quite. Well, if that really is what they mean, why didn't they just say
so ?
Minor damage only if that's the case ... and in some ways, a good thing
for
those of us here.


If that's what they mean, then who wrote the subject line?


Ah. That is obviously from marketing. :)


Yeah, we are going to s$#*w you, but it is for the greater good, and it is
in your best interests (because we know best).


  #63   Report Post  
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 169
Default Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

In article , "Bob Phillips" wrote:
(snip)
If that's what they mean, then who wrote the subject line?


Ah. That is obviously from marketing. :)


Yeah, we are going to s$#*w you, but it is for the greater good, and it is
in your best interests (because we know best).


... what I like to call definition number 2 of "service" in your dictionary
... has to do with bulls and cows. :)

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
microsoft communities interface FSt1 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 March 19th 09 08:37 AM
How do I get the microsoft office online taskpane excel to work? CINDY New Users to Excel 1 September 1st 06 01:06 PM
How do I download readable templates from microsoft online echopig Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 December 14th 05 07:22 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Microsoft Excel"