Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I want to eliminate the first character in several lines

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If all are six characters long and in Col A then enter this in B1 and copy down
=RIGHT(A1,5)

if they are of different lenght then use
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try
=MID(A2,2,5)

this assume that you always have 6 characters and you want the last 5

--
Hope this is helpful

Pls click the Yes button below if this post provide answer you have asked

I am an ordinary user trying to assist another

Thank You

cheers, francis

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Worked like a charm - only thing I had to do was to copy and paste my numbers
up one row, as they all shifted down one by having to put the formula in. I
do happen to have numbers of all different length, so thanks for including
that info. I would have never came up with that, as I am only a casual user,
so THANK YOU!!!

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You are most welcome...

everyone starts as a novice... the joy of Excel (and other software) is that
you discover new and better ways to do things even after years of using it...

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Thanks for the feedback. if you do have different length of characters
and want to return from the 2nd characters onward, try

=MID(A2,2,LEN(A2))
--

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Third parameter in MID is no. of characters to be extracted and not the
position of the last character... so it should be
=MID(A2,2,LEN(A2)-1)
to exclude the first character...