Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheeloo[_4_] Sheeloo[_4_] is offline

Default I want to eliminate the first character in several lines

You are most welcome...

everyone starts as a novice... the joy of Excel (and other software) is that
you discover new and better ways to do things even after years of using it...

"ccdhofer" wrote:

Worked like a charm - only thing I had to do was to copy and paste my numbers
up one row, as they all shifted down one by having to put the formula in. I
do happen to have numbers of all different length, so thanks for including
that info. I would have never came up with that, as I am only a casual user,
so THANK YOU!!!

"Sheeloo" wrote:

If all are six characters long and in Col A then enter this in B1 and copy down
=RIGHT(A1,5)

if they are of different lenght then use
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

"ccdhofer" wrote:

I want to eliminate the first character in several lines, but leave the
remaining characters. For instance, I use Excel as a "log book" and I have a
column that contains chronological numbers that, currently all begin with the
letter "S". (Example S7145A, S7145B, S7146A, etc.) I want to eliminate the
"S", but leave the remaining four digit number, with ending letter intact.
Considering my log bog is nearly 13500 lines long, I want to find a quick way
to do this. I am thinking of using Find and Replace, somehow, but cannot
figure out how to do, without completely clearing the cell. I am using Excel
2007.