Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Converting numbers to month names

I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the 444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Using 1901 date setting in Excel the number represents the 19th March 1901
hence why it shows up as March if you use custom formatting of "mmmm".

Maybe you could use something like

=TEXT(DATE(1,X,1),"mmmm")

where X is your month of interest eg 1 for January, 2 for February, 3 for
March etc

Richard

"Charles" wrote in message
I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I
have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the
444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My
question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have formatted as mmmm in Format Cells/Custom

444 is the 444th day since 1/1/1900, or 3/1/1901.

So, if you really want to do it that way, you can use 1 for January, 32 for
February, 61 for March, 92 for April, 122 for May, etc.

"Charles" wrote:

I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the 444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There are no number codes for months, Excel dates are integers starting on
Jan 0 (yes zero) 1900 (Mac Excel starts Jan 1 1904). So what you have is 444
days after Jan 0 1900 which equals 3/19/1901 and any date in March
regardless year will display as March if you custom format it as mmmm so you
might as well write 09/01/2008 and format the
cell the same way and it will display September. So zero in a cell will
display as January

Peo Sjoblom

"Charles" wrote in message
I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I
have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the
444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My
question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

These are day fiducials starting at 1 on January 1 1900 and going on after
that.
Just type in " =value(today()) into a random cell and you will get today's
number (39,731). If you enter " =month(today()) ", then you should get 10.

Note: there is a small glitch that shouldn't be too critical for most users:
Excel considers that there was a February 29th in 1900, but in fact, there
wasn't. So if you were to get a day count between a date after and a date
before this unexistent Feb29/1900, you should subtract 1 from your result...

Regards,
Feelu

"Charles" wrote:

I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the 444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is not a "glitch" Here are numbers which, when correctly formatted,
display dates:

Jan 1
Feb 32
Mar 61
Apr 92
May 122
Jun 153
Jul 183
Aug 214
Sep 245
Oct 275
Nov 306
Dec 336

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200806

"Charles" wrote:

I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the 444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The reason the leap year bug is there is because Microsoft copied Lotus 123
which at that
time was main spreadsheet on the block. So they knowingly used this because
they
wanted to be compatible with Lotus.

Peo Sjoblom