Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Richard Schollar[_2_] Richard Schollar[_2_] is offline

Default Converting numbers to month names

Using 1901 date setting in Excel the number represents the 19th March 1901
hence why it shows up as March if you use custom formatting of "mmmm".

Maybe you could use something like

=TEXT(DATE(1,X,1),"mmmm")

where X is your month of interest eg 1 for January, 2 for February, 3 for
March etc

Richard

"Charles" wrote in message
I think I've found a glitch in excel that I would like to manipulate. I
have
found that if I put the number "444" in a cell, Excel will convert this to
the month name "March" using customer formatting. When excel looks to the
444
number and I ask for "mmmm" it displays the month name of March. My
question
is what number do I use for all twelve months. What number do I use for
September? Where do I find the number codes at?
--
Thanks!!

Charles