Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Display of a hyperlink .jpg file in Excel 2002

Something happened to my machine when I was at a website and a number of
things got screwed up. I fixed several, but something happened to Excel. I
am running XP on a Dell PC.

I have numerous excel spreadsheets with hyperlinks to .jpg pictures. After
creating the hyperlinks, I use to be able to click on the cell and IE would
open to display the picture. I used that to check and see if I had
hyperlinked to the correct picture.

Now, I click on the cell and nothing happens. The hyperlink is there and OK.

What has changed and how do I fix this problem.

Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

try:

Tools Options General Web Options... General check both boxes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200775

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I checked the settings in Excel and both boxes are checked under options -
general - web options - general. Problem remains.

I have looked at the folder tools -options -file types and in the past,
the .jpg types (and other picture types) were set to an application €śWindows
Picture and Fax Viewer€ť. If I change this to IE, then the Excel links will
open IE and display.

In the past, the links would automatically open IE and the back button
worked. Clicking on the back button and the IE window would close and you
would be back to the Excel spreadsheet. By setting the .jpg type types to
IE, the Excel hyperlink will work, but the back button is does not work.
Have to close the window with the close button. With this setting, all
folders containing .jpg (and other) picture files no longer display the
Windows Picture viewer icon but IE.

Something has changed. If I return the folder option for types to the
original application, then clicking on the hyperlink in excel does nothing.
It is if excel does not know to open IE as before to display the picture. In
the past, the back button worked so I would only click on it to go back to
the Excel spreadsheet.

HELP! What has happened and where?

Thanks,
Dave

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

try:

Tools Options General Web Options... General check both boxes
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200775

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have continued to trouble shoot this problem. I found if I creat a new
Excel spread sheet and put in hyperlinks to pictures, everything works OK.

So what has happened to existing Excel spreadsheets with hyperlinks to .jpg
not working. Something in the file sturcture has change??

Thanks for help,
Dave

"Dave Brooks" wrote:

Something happened to my machine when I was at a website and a number of
things got screwed up. I fixed several, but something happened to Excel. I
am running XP on a Dell PC.

I have numerous excel spreadsheets with hyperlinks to .jpg pictures. After
creating the hyperlinks, I use to be able to click on the cell and IE would
open to display the picture. I used that to check and see if I had
hyperlinked to the correct picture.

Now, I click on the cell and nothing happens. The hyperlink is there and OK.

What has changed and how do I fix this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Just to add a bit more, where I said in the earlier post, that a new
spreadsheet with hyperlinks worked - well - that was not the complete story.
When I saved that file and then reopened it. The hyperlinks to pictures do
not work. When working on the spread sheet prior to saving, the hyperlinks
to pictures work. Saving and then reopening, something changes and the
hyperlinks will not open.

Very frustrated now.

Dave