Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Thomas Refsdal

Default Problems with HYPERLINK in Excel 2002 and 2003

Hi.

My SMS-provider has an API where it's possible to send an SMS by specifying
a URL. I've made an Excel-sheet that has all relevant fields concatenated
and put into an HYPERLINK function. When I click the hyperlink the default
browser is called with the URL. The browser returns with a page with text
"Message sent: ID 1234567"

The problem though is that _two_ sms are sent. I can see in the sms log
that it is the ID of the second sms that is returned in the browser.

It seems like Excel is performing its own check before calling the browser.
Try making a cell with a referance to a server that does not exist (e.g.
'=hyperlink(http://www.djfksjdfi.com)) and click the link. Excel then
returns a message box with the text "Unable to open
http://www.djfksjdfi.com/. Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy
server."

If you make a real link Excel tries the link and if its valid calls the
browser with the same link. The sms-api believes that this is two distinct
commands and sends two identical sms to the same user.

I would like to know if there is a way around this problem (exept make a
server side workaround). Is this a bug or a feature in Excel?

Regards

Thomas, Norway