Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Worthy

Default How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office 2003

I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
\\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Worthy

Default How do I display the full file path for a hyperlink in Office

Thanks - I've tried that but I can't point the hyperlink to where the reports
are stored if the drive is disconnected.

--
Paul

"Worthy" wrote:

I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
\\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

Cheers

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could always use the =hyperlink() worksheet formula:
=hyperlink("\\uup-rep-d...etc","Click me!")

Worthy wrote:

I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
\\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

Cheers

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Worthy

Dave,

This is fine, however it means writing the full file path in the function
each time. (I need to do this for various file locations so it could be quite
time consuming writing the path names in manually).

It was easy in Office 2000 to insert a hyperlink because you tell it where
the file is by selecting it when you insert the Hyperlink.

Any other suggestions?

--
Paul

Worthy wrote:

I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
\\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

Cheers

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Put the path in a cell (say a1) and use:

=hyperlink($a$1&"\filename.ext","clickme")

Then if the path ever changes, you can just change that one cell.

Worthy wrote:

I am writing user manuals for a series of reports I produce and I'm using
hyperlinks to show where reports are stored. When I insert the hyperlink it
loses the full name of the file path and replaces it with the drive letter
that the report is stored on. (i.e. instead of
\\uup-rep-dx89\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls the hyperlink is shown as
E:\MI_Reports\daily\test.xls.)

Although the hyperlink will still work, it is not very practical for
somebody to follow the user manual if they have a print out because network
drives can be mapped to different drive letters.

Hope this makes sense and hope somebody can help!

Cheers

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
snicho

Set the File, Properties, Hyperlink Base to "\\" (without the inverted commas).

This may intitially break a few links (but maybe not), but if you go back
and set all your hyperlinks again to an absolute path on your LAN it should
solve any further broken links.