Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default this formulas is in English ... what is it in German?

Hi Everyone

my laptop uses Excel 2003 English ... and my desktop Excel 2003 German.

This formula goes in cell b1 ...
it counts the number of times the character '@' appears in cell a1 ...

=len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,"@",""))

my question: how to write this formula in German for Excel 2003?

this is what I have tried so far:

=LÄNGE(A2)-LÄNGE(ERSETZEN(A2;"@";"";""))

unfortunately Excel doesn't like this and throws up the #WERT error message.

Can anyone help with a correction / alternative that will achieve the same
objective?

cheers,
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi Andrew

Why not open the workbook you create on your English laptop on your German Desktop
Excel will tranlate it for you then

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Andrewsan" wrote in message ...
Hi Everyone

my laptop uses Excel 2003 English ... and my desktop Excel 2003 German.

This formula goes in cell b1 ...
it counts the number of times the character '@' appears in cell a1 ...

=len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,"@",""))

my question: how to write this formula in German for Excel 2003?

this is what I have tried so far:

=LÄNGE(A2)-LÄNGE(ERSETZEN(A2;"@";"";""))

unfortunately Excel doesn't like this and throws up the #WERT error message.

Can anyone help with a correction / alternative that will achieve the same
objective?

cheers,
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi Bob

many thanks ... taht works fine

cheers
Andrew

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Try

=LÄNGE(A2)-LÄNGE(WECHSELN(A2;"@";"";""))

--
HTH

Bob

"Andrewsan" wrote in message
Hi Everyone

my laptop uses Excel 2003 English ... and my desktop Excel 2003 German.

This formula goes in cell b1 ...
it counts the number of times the character '@' appears in cell a1 ...

=len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,"@",""))

my question: how to write this formula in German for Excel 2003?

this is what I have tried so far:

=LÄNGE(A2)-LÄNGE(ERSETZEN(A2;"@";"";""))

unfortunately Excel doesn't like this and throws up the #WERT error
message.

Can anyone help with a correction / alternative that will achieve the same
objective?

cheers,
Andrew

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hallo Bob

I'm not sure I understand that comment ...
can you say it again with different words, please?

I tried looked for activecell.value in Excel help, but found no reference

cheers
Andrew

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

or enter it in English in the immediate window as an activecell.value

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you go into the VBIDE (ALt-F11), and ensure that the immediate window is
open (Ctrl-G), and in there assign the formula to the activecell, in English
(always in English), like so

Activecell.Value = "=len(a1)-len(substitute(a1,""@"",""""))"

If you then go back to Excel (Alt-F11), the formula will be in the local
language, complete translation.

--
HTH

Bob