Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default paste 'over' protected cells?

(excel 2002)
I would like to copy a column, and paste 'values' (only) into another
col, _except_ I don't want to overwrite a few of the cells in the target
col. Protecting those cells blocks the paste operation for the entire
col. I'd like the paste to go ahead, and just not do anything to the
protected cells. Can I?

Thanks,
George
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you protect a worksheet, all cells are locked by default, which means
that they cannot be edited. To enable cells to be edited while leaving only
some cells locked, you can unlock the cells and then lock only specific cells
and ranges before you protect the worksheet. You can also allow specific
users to edit specific ranges in a protected worksheet.

--
William<"M"

"George" wrote:

(excel 2002)
I would like to copy a column, and paste 'values' (only) into another
col, _except_ I don't want to overwrite a few of the cells in the target
col. Protecting those cells blocks the paste operation for the entire
col. I'd like the paste to go ahead, and just not do anything to the
protected cells. Can I?

Thanks,
George

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 19:24:02 -0700, Sunday88310
wrote:

When you protect a worksheet, all cells are locked by default, which means
that they cannot be edited. To enable cells to be edited while leaving only
some cells locked, you can unlock the cells and then lock only specific cells
and ranges before you protect the worksheet. You can also allow specific
users to edit specific ranges in a protected worksheet.

I think I knew that. It's not a matter of blocking some users - I'm the
only one doing this. There are just some cells that I don't want to
overwrite. I'd like to be able to paste a whole column, and have the
paste just ignore protected cells. As it is, I get a message that some
cells are protected, _and_ the paste operation quits.

Maybe you're just saying "no can do"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want to repeat the same thing over and over? If so, it might make
sense to do this programmatically.

You do have to unprotect the sheet before you attempt to work with a range.

Let's say you want to paste into column F, you could define a range for
column f and do something like this

for each r in myrange
if not r.locked then
'Copy whatever you want to copy.
end if
next r

I'm not showing all the code you'd need, but am saying that if you're doing
the same thing over and over, it might be doable programmatically.

Why don't you save your workbook with another name and record what you want
to do and paste that macro here if you want assistance. You will have to
unprotect the sheet in question and paste the data there, but since this will
be a workbook for TESTING, it shouldn't be a problem. SOmeone here can help
you clean up the code to do what you want for the protected cells.

HTH,
Barb Reinhardt