Old December 19th 06, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical operation of
convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Old December 19th 06, 03:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Since convolution involves integration, numerically or
theoretically, I suspect that it would best be done by a program
other than Excel. Before I retired, I had Mathematica and MatLab
available for that sort of thing but I can't bring myself to buy
either of the very expensive programs just for personal
interest.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old December 19th 06, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d1646d344b3e8d

--
Gary's Student

Old December 19th 06, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Further to my earlier reply. If cost is a problem, symbolic
algebra programs are available for Linux tho' I have not used
any of them lately. MuPad is one that comes to mind.

Old December 19th 06, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

MuPad also runs under Windows
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

Old December 19th 06, 05:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Excel has an Add-Inn called "Data Analysis" that includes a Fourier
Transform program.
It surprisingly works quite well.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

Old December 20th 06, 02:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Some general comments on the question of convolution in Excel:

1) I agree with everyone that said something to the effect of, "If you are
serious about signal processing, you should be using some other program."
I'll add to the list by saying that when I am "serious", I use IDL.
2) I was hoping to find a quick method to look at some curves. For quick
plotting of data and seeing what is happening, I think Excel is hard to beat.
For that purpose, I found Gary's Student's response very helpful.
3) In the end, here is what I did:
a) I made a column with the time reversed kernel and named the relevant
cells, "ker".
b) I put the zero padded input signal in the next column.
c) The next column contained array formulas of the form:
{=SUM(ker*E18:E118)}
d) Plot the output signal.

So, I had a four column solution (Time, reversed kernel, input signal,
output signal), which made it easy to see the effect of changing the kernel.

Thanks again!