Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FeynmanDiagram FeynmanDiagram is offline

Default How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Some general comments on the question of convolution in Excel:

1) I agree with everyone that said something to the effect of, "If you are
serious about signal processing, you should be using some other program."
I'll add to the list by saying that when I am "serious", I use IDL.
2) I was hoping to find a quick method to look at some curves. For quick
plotting of data and seeing what is happening, I think Excel is hard to beat.
For that purpose, I found Gary's Student's response very helpful.
3) In the end, here is what I did:
a) I made a column with the time reversed kernel and named the relevant
cells, "ker".
b) I put the zero padded input signal in the next column.
c) The next column contained array formulas of the form:
{=SUM(ker*E18:E118)}
d) Plot the output signal.

So, I had a four column solution (Time, reversed kernel, input signal,
output signal), which made it easy to see the effect of changing the kernel.

Thanks again!

"FeynmanDiagram" wrote:

Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical operation of
convolution in Excel? Thanks!