-   -   How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/123126-how-do-i-perform-mathematical-convolution-excel.html)

FeynmanDiagram

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical operation of
convolution in Excel? Thanks!

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Yes, you can perform mathematical convolution in Excel using the built-in function called "CONVOLVE". Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, enter the two sets of data that you want to convolve into two separate columns in your Excel worksheet.
  2. Next, select a blank cell where you want the result of the convolution to appear.
  3. Type "=CONVOLVE(" into the formula bar, and then select the first range of data that you want to convolve.
  4. Type a comma "," and then select the second range of data that you want to convolve.
  5. Type a closing parenthesis ")" and press Enter.
  6. The result of the convolution will appear in the cell you selected.

Note that the CONVOLVE function in Excel performs a discrete convolution, which means that it assumes that the two sets of data are sampled at regular intervals. If your data is not sampled at regular intervals, you may need to interpolate it before using the CONVOLVE function.

James Silverton

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Since convolution involves integration, numerically or
theoretically, I suspect that it would best be done by a program
other than Excel. Before I retired, I had Mathematica and MatLab
available for that sort of thing but I can't bring myself to buy
either of the very expensive programs just for personal
interest.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Gary''s Student

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

See:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...d1646d344b3e8d

--
Gary's Student

"FeynmanDiagram" wrote:

Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical operation of
convolution in Excel? Thanks!

James Silverton

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Further to my earlier reply. If cost is a problem, symbolic
algebra programs are available for Linux tho' I have not used
any of them lately. MuPad is one that comes to mind.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Bernard Liengme

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

MuPad also runs under Windows
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Further to my earlier reply. If cost is a problem, symbolic algebra
programs are available for Linux tho' I have not used any of them lately.
MuPad is one that comes to mind.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Dana DeLouis

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Excel has an Add-Inn called "Data Analysis" that includes a Fourier
Transform program.
It surprisingly works quite well.
--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

"Bernard Liengme" wrote in message
MuPad also runs under Windows
--
Bernard Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove CAPS in email address

"James Silverton" wrote in message
Hello, FeynmanDiagram!
You wrote on Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:46:01 -0800:

F Does anyone know how to easily perform the mathematical
F operation of convolution in Excel? Thanks!

Further to my earlier reply. If cost is a problem, symbolic algebra
programs are available for Linux tho' I have not used any of them lately.
MuPad is one that comes to mind.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

FeynmanDiagram

How do I perform mathematical convolution in Excel?

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Some general comments on the question of convolution in Excel:

1) I agree with everyone that said something to the effect of, "If you are
serious about signal processing, you should be using some other program."
I'll add to the list by saying that when I am "serious", I use IDL.
2) I was hoping to find a quick method to look at some curves. For quick
plotting of data and seeing what is happening, I think Excel is hard to beat.
For that purpose, I found Gary's Student's response very helpful.
3) In the end, here is what I did:
a) I made a column with the time reversed kernel and named the relevant
cells, "ker".
b) I put the zero padded input signal in the next column.
c) The next column contained array formulas of the form:
{=SUM(ker*E18:E118)}
d) Plot the output signal.

So, I had a four column solution (Time, reversed kernel, input signal,
output signal), which made it easy to see the effect of changing the kernel.

Thanks again!