Old June 11th 09, 08:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default data range referrences

No, the problem wasn't the lack of 2007. I tried from my VM, which has 2007,
and the web site couldn't find 2007. When I went ahead anyway, the template
was not found.

Then I tried using IE (I was using FireFox) with or without 2007, same
result.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Jon Peltier" wrote in message
"The template you are trying to access was not found."

I think the problem is that the MS site "helpfully" checks whether I have
2007 installed on my machine (I do, but on a VM, not on the main machine).
If not, I get an option to download manually, and when I click on that
link, it can't believe I haven't upgraded to the newest, glitteriest
spreadsheet program in history, so it can't bring itself to find the file.

Why they can't just put up a simple freaking link, I don't know. They've
pushed the compatibility pack onto everyone anyway, so why should they
care?

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message

Hunt up on the recent submissions "WallyWallWhackr" or "Blood Pressure
Tracker for entire year".

It is on the first page of the "recently submitted" community
templates. on the templates main page at microsoft.com

http://office.microsoft.com/search/r... 100632981033

or, the main templates page and select "recently submitted" in the left
column:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...595491033.aspx

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 09:38:26 -0400, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

"The template you are trying to access was not found."

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html
_______

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 15:43:55 -0400, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

If this were my project (sorry, I don't have time to make it mine) I
think
would have used an Excel List or Table as the data entry region, kept
dates
in one column, and not fed a pivot table with this. I'd build a set of
worksheet controls that would allow the user to select a time range to
plot,
on a chart with a date scale on the X axis.

I showed an example that worked like this he

Dynamic Charting By Dates -

I made this:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/my...058731033.aspx

There is no Feb 29 handling currently as MS does not accept macro
enabled template submissions.

There are no pivot charts or tables. Feb 29 messes up the charts, even
with the #N/A () in place in the date fields, which are one axis.

So I omit your IF statement test string, and was using a button to
hide
or unhide that row in two locations. That actually works, and also
likely with the area chart under discussion elsewhere. That is a good
way to code it, if it works with all the charts. Is MS going to patch
SP2 to solve its problems I have been reading about?

Anyway, take a gander at my workbook, if you get a moment. I think
the
macro buttons could be eliminated, and the test and change be automated
in a single macro with no need for user interaction (simply run the
test
and hide or unhide the rows).

Thanks again, Jon, for all the help you have given me. My work is
close to completion, and much better than the previous version thanks
your help, and the exercises it put me through.

'Grade' my spreadsheet if you would. I like feedback. I should make
it so the user can select that chart plot line colors on the first page
as well. That would be cool, as then the user could make easy
universal
color changes without the recursive exercise of activating all the
pertinent sheets and setting the colors and saving. Having a choice
dialog would make it point and click.

Anyone that monitors and tracks their blood pressure should give it a
glance as well.

Old June 11th 09, 11:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:43:51 -0400, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

I think the problem is that the MS site "helpfully" checks whether I have
2007 installed on my machine (I do, but on a VM, not on the main machine).

That is correct. When I am at work, my templates do not show up as we
are 2k3 at work.
Old June 12th 09, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

No?

Darn.

http://office.microsoft.com/search/r... 101436151033

The string has "assetid" in it. I wonder what that could be...?

Can you not get a friend to grab it for you and send it to you?

At least they finally got the thumbnail screenshots working.

Dang! You cannot see that either!

wrote:

[...]

.. .

templates. on the templates main page at microsoft.com

wrote:

[...]

close to completion, and much better than the previous version thanks to

Old June 12th 09, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:25:43 -0400, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

No, the problem wasn't the lack of 2007. I tried from my VM, which has 2007,
and the web site couldn't find 2007. When I went ahead anyway, the template
was not found.

Then I tried using IE (I was using FireFox) with or without 2007, same
result.

It is there, andI definitely get a different list at work than I do
here.Are you sure a virtualized installation gets "seen" correctly at the
MS site?

- Jon
-------

Old June 16th 09, 03:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

wrote:

No, the problem wasn't the lack of 2007. I tried from my VM, which has
2007,
and the web site couldn't find 2007. When I went ahead anyway, the
template
was not found.

Then I tried using IE (I was using FireFox) with or without 2007, same
result.

It is there, andI definitely get a different list at work than I do
here.Are you sure a virtualized installation gets "seen" correctly at the
MS site?

Neither my VMs nor my regular machine worked. I don't know why they can't
just post a link, like the rest of the world does.

- Jon
-------

Old June 16th 09, 05:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

wrote:

No, the problem wasn't the lack of 2007. I tried from my VM, which has
2007,
and the web site couldn't find 2007. When I went ahead anyway, the
template
was not found.

Then I tried using IE (I was using FireFox) with or without 2007, same
result.

It is there, andI definitely get a different list at work than I do
here.Are you sure a virtualized installation gets "seen" correctly at the
MS site?

Neither my VMs nor my regular machine worked. I don't know why they can't
just post a link, like the rest of the world does.

- Jon

They segregate o2k7 and keep you from DLing "non-compliant" templates
for o2k3.

I can post it to a hosting site.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmzqznvomxa
Old June 22nd 09, 02:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

wrote:

. ..
wrote:

No, the problem wasn't the lack of 2007. I tried from my VM, which has
2007,
and the web site couldn't find 2007. When I went ahead anyway, the
template
was not found.

Then I tried using IE (I was using FireFox) with or without 2007, same
result.

It is there, andI definitely get a different list at work than I do
here.Are you sure a virtualized installation gets "seen" correctly at
the
MS site?

Neither my VMs nor my regular machine worked. I don't know why they can't
just post a link, like the rest of the world does.

- Jon

They segregate o2k7 and keep you from DLing "non-compliant" templates
for o2k3.

So they should let me click on a link for "Download Excel 2007 Workbook",
and if it doesn't work in 2003 it's my problem. Why do they feel the need to
babysit all of their users?

I can post it to a hosting site.

http://www.mediafire.com/?zmzqznvomxa

Thanks.

The problem is that you're using a multiple-level category axis. #N/A is
treated as a bit of text, and the axis extends to include the #N/A in the
date column.

If you're only protecting the charts to prevent the user accidentally
breaking something, don't bother with a password. I was not able to change
the category axis data range to verify that a single level category axis
scale, using #N/A for the 29th, would not show Feb 29 on non leap years.

Well, actually I could break the password. Most passwords in Office are not
very secure. And yes, if the X values includes only one column, not two,
then the axis behaves as I told you it would.

- Jon
-------