Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cond. Format Data Bars of range based on values of another range

I want to format a column titled "Names" using <conditional formatting with
Data Bars based on the values of another columns titled "Values". How can I
do that?
Ex:
Names Values
Small 10
Medium 20
Large 30
I need the databars to show on the columns Names rather than Values.

--
alexmo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way to do what you want is to duplicate your values in the Names column,
and use a custom format to display Small, Medium or Large. Something like:
[<=10]"Small";[<=20]"Medium";"Large"

Then, because the cells contain numbers, you can use Data Bars for them.

Regards,
Fred

"alexmo" wrote in message
I want to format a column titled "Names" using <conditional formatting with
Data Bars based on the values of another columns titled "Values". How
can I
do that?
Ex:
Names Values
Small 10
Medium 20
Large 30
I need the databars to show on the columns Names rather than Values.

--
alexmo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I do not think that is possible in Excel 2007. You will necessarily have to
use the data bars on the column which has the condition.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"alexmo" wrote in message
I want to format a column titled "Names" using <conditional formatting
with
Data Bars based on the values of another columns titled "Values". How
can I
do that?
Ex:
Names Values
Small 10
Medium 20
Large 30
I need the databars to show on the columns Names rather than Values.

--
alexmo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Cond. Format Data Bars of range based on values of another ran

thanks Fred; that was fast!
I cannot do what you suggest although it's a nice suggestion;

My "Names" column is a list of hundreds of items.
The Values column lists the price of these items.
I want to print the Names column only and use the data bars to give an idea
of the expensive v/s cheaper items.

--
alexmo

"alexmo" wrote in message
I want to format a column titled "Names" using <conditional formatting with
Data Bars based on the values of another columns titled "Values". How
can I
do that?
Ex:
Names Values
Small 10
Medium 20
Large 30
I need the databars to show on the columns Names rather than Values.

--
alexmo

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I was worried you had an application with many more values than your
example. Sorry my idea won't work in that case. Can't think of any other
solution.

Regards,
Fred.