Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I link data from a horizontal range to a vertical range?

How do I link data from a horizontal to a vertical range when the ranges are
in different worksheets of the same workbook. I have used the =INDEX(xx:xx,
columns($A:A), rows(1:1))) formula when two different workbooks are involved
-- and it works great. But, it doesn't work for the same workbook -- what am
I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try something like:

Cell A1: =INDIRECT("Sheet2!A" & COLUMN(A1))

and drag across the columns

Regards

Trevor

"davidge" wrote in message
How do I link data from a horizontal to a vertical range when the ranges
are
in different worksheets of the same workbook. I have used the
=INDEX(xx:xx,
columns($A:A), rows(1:1))) formula when two different workbooks are
involved
-- and it works great. But, it doesn't work for the same workbook -- what
am
I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

P.e. into A1 enter the formula
=OFFSET(SourceSheet!$A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1)
, and copy to appropriate range.

When you want to prepare formulas for future data entry on SourceSheet, then
=IF(OFFSET(SourceSheet!$A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1)="","",OFFSET(SourceSheet!$A$1,COLUMN()-1,ROW()-1))

--
Arvi Laanemets
( My real mail address: arvi.laanemets<attarkon.ee )

"davidge" wrote in message
How do I link data from a horizontal to a vertical range when the ranges
are
in different worksheets of the same workbook. I have used the
=INDEX(xx:xx,
columns($A:A), rows(1:1))) formula when two different workbooks are
involved
-- and it works great. But, it doesn't work for the same workbook -- what
am
I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi David

With your source data in row 1, enter in A2
=INDEX($1:$1,1,ROW(A1))
and copy down

--
Regards