Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier Jon Peltier is offline

Default data range referrences

If this were my project (sorry, I don't have time to make it mine) I think I
would have used an Excel List or Table as the data entry region, kept dates
in one column, and not fed a pivot table with this. I'd build a set of
worksheet controls that would allow the user to select a time range to plot,
on a chart with a date scale on the X axis.

I showed an example that worked like this he

Dynamic Charting By Dates -

-------
Just over a week! Don't miss it!

Advanced Excel Conference - June 17-18 2009 - Charting and Programming
http://peltiertech.com/Training/2009...00906ACNJ.html

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in message
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 11:29:02 -0400, "Jon Peltier"
wrote:

A pivot chart, eh? They're not so flexible. Keep in mind that it's always
best to share as many details as possible when introducing the post, like
chart type, version number, specific formula that's giving difficulties.

So how are you making a pivot table that gives you a slot for 29 Feb 2009?
Pivot tables don't make up dates. Use the whole dates in the pivot table,
but if you only want to show the day number, use a custom date format that
only shows the day, not month and year.

It has TWO columns at the start that are BOTH date fields, and are both
formatted to show up as day of month, and day of week, so the chart shows
all 31 days in January, and the days of the week associated with those
days. Since it is a blood pressure tracking workbook, info like that is
good to see when the user/patient/doctor wants to examine the data for a
trend or spike, etc.

I am trying to perfect it. It is on the Microsoft Templates page under
community submitted templates. Folks are downloading it, so I want to
get it fixed up. I have since made some changes so it is not formatted
as it is on the MS site currently. That sheet uses a simple number for
the day of the month, so that column was not a date column.

Since I grabbed the sheet from someone else, I was unaware that it was
a pivot chart, as I have only recently become aware of the animal's
existence (thanks). Your help has taught me a lot from what you have
given to what I picked up as I have been doing this exercise in error
abatement. :-)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/my...056691033.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/search/r... T101436151033