Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

Default Remove html markup

How do I remove HTML markup from and cell.

i.e.
<DIV class=productdesc <H3SCALLYWAGS CHANGING MAT. </H3<TABLE border=0
<TBODY <TR <TD <UL <LIFoam-filled <LIWipe-clean surface <LIFits most
dressers <LIdimensions: 75 x 46cm </LI</UL</TD</TR
<TR</TR</TBODY</TABLE <UL <LIWhen using a changing mat on a dresser or
other raised surface, never leave your baby unattended even for a moment
</LI</UL</P</DIV

I want it to read:-

SCALLYWAGS CHANGING MAT. Foam-filled Wipe-clean surface Fits most dressers
dimensions: 75 x 46cm When using a changing mat on a dresser or other
raised surface, never leave your baby unattended even for a moment

I am trying to change out website csv file into a froogle csv file but
without the HTML

Thanks in advance

Stuart
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

I think this will get you most of the way the
EditReplace:
Find What: <*
Replace with: (this should be blank)
Click the [Replace] button until you're sure it's doing what you want. Then,
click the [Replace All] button.

That will leave some extraneous spaces, so do another Find/Replace for
double spaces and, again, replace them with nothing.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have over 2500 products to do so that would take some finding and
replacing. Is there no formula or script that I can use to do this
automatically.

Regards

Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

OK...more information is good....but...

How about:
Q: Are all 2500 products in one sheet?
If yes, you don't have to Edit/Replace one at a time; you can click the
[Replace all] button. Did you do that?

Q: Are they all in one workbook?
If yes, group the sheets together (Select the first sheet, hold down the
[Shift] key, then select the last sheet). Then, do the same Edit/Replace as
above.

Q: Multiple workbooks?
How many workbooks? If only a few, then use the above technique on each.
If many...well...let's see if we need to cross that bridge.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

All 2500 products are on one sheet, if you want an example i can give you an
example but it will take up alot off room in here and can out it on the
server as a download so you can see what Im talking about

Regards
Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

How many characters are in the cell? Is there something about the cell to
make Excel think it's a formula (plus sign, equal sign, etc)?

(Anybody else have thoughts about this?)

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Yikes! I just checked the file.
Each of those cells has many thousands of characters.....evidently, too many
for Find/Replace to handle.

I'm going to hope that somebody has already programmed a solution, because
so far, I haven't come up with any tricks that have worked.

***********
Regards,
Ron

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

Hi Ron

Thanks for your help so far. Much appreciated. Just hope someone has already
done this like you said. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again

Regards

Stuart

"Stuart" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Dave Peterson

Since you're fixing a .csv file, maybe excel isn't the best choice.

If you visit shareware.com, you can find lots of programs to clean up HTML
files.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KC

Not sure if I'm on the right track here with this suggestion ...

If the HTML is being copied from the web, copy if to Notepad first,
then copy from Notepad into Excel. Notepad will clean it up and get
rid of the HTML code.

Kaye

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:05:05 -0800, Stuart
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

The csv file is a database feed from our e-commerce site, so adding them one
by one to notepad to remove the html would take a long time.

Regards

Stuart

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Hi Stuart,
I would go to Steve Miller's http://www.stevemiller.net/apps/
and install Pure Text then you can copy the HTML from an HTML page
click on the PT system taskbar button, and paste into notepad.

If you start from the Excel sheet, copy from the column, Paste into notepad,
save as HTML (junk.htm) from notepad, open the junk.htm file with your
browser, copy the everything on the sheet (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) then paste
into notepad and you will have your text. After you have installed and
used Pure Text the process should take about 3 minutes to convert in that
manner.
---
HTH,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

Hi David.

Thanks for that, the only problem with that is it leaves lots of blank cells
when pasted back into excel. I've even tried saving the spreadsheet as csv
and text file to see if that would help when pasted back into excel. No luck
there.

Any more ideas greatly accepted.

Regards

Stuar

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Hi Stuart,
I would go to Steve Miller's http://www.stevemiller.net/apps/
and install Pure Text then you can copy the HTML from an HTML page
click on the PT system taskbar button, and paste into notepad.

If you start from the Excel sheet, copy from the column, Paste into notepad,
save as HTML (junk.htm) from notepad, open the junk.htm file with your
browser, copy the everything on the sheet (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) then paste
into notepad and you will have your text. After you have installed and
used Pure Text the process should take about 3 minutes to convert in that
manner.
---
HTH,
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Hi, Stuart

See if this works for you....

Copy the list of HTML cells from Excel to MS Word.

In MS Word:
EditReplace
Find what: \<*\
Replace with: (leave this blank)
Click the [More] button to see search options and select: Use Wildcards
Click the [Replace All] button

Then...EditReplace
Find what: (enter 2 spaces)
Click the [Replace All] button
-That will eliminate strings of spaces

Then...EditReplace
Find what: &nbsp
Replace with: (enter 1 space)
Click the [Replace All] button
-That will replace non-breaking space codes with 1 space

Finally:
Select the whole Word document
EditCopy
Select the first HTML cell in Excel
EditPaste

It might not be perfect, but is it close enough?

***********
Regards,
Ron

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Hi Stuart,
I would go to Steve Miller's http://www.stevemiller.net/apps/
and install Pure Text then you can copy the HTML from an HTML page
click on the PT system taskbar button, and paste into notepad.

If you start from the Excel sheet, copy from the column, Paste into notepad,
save as HTML (junk.htm) from notepad, open the junk.htm file with your
browser, copy the everything on the sheet (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) then paste
into notepad and you will have your text. After you have installed and
used Pure Text the process should take about 3 minutes to convert in that
manner.
---
HTH,
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
David McRitchie

Hi Stuart,
Each of your original cells was an entire formatted webpage, less pictures.
If you convert the text in one cell to plain text and bring it back into
Excel you are going to generated a lot empty lines due to paragraphs
which are necessary for humans to be able to read, and each
cell when brought back into Excel is going to take many cells (vertically).

You aren't going to be able read whole web pages in single cells no
matter what you do, so why not use links to the original web pages,
or to your archived copy of those web pages.

If you are trying to do some search on keywords on your machine
you could use Google Desktop on your machine, or Google to search
the site you want to search (limited to 32 words per search).

If you want the material back in their original cells, you will have to
use a macro like your first suggestion to remove the < and
everything in between (and replace with a space), it would be pretty
much unreadable, but it would match your initial post in this thread. .

Maybe if you stated the actual purpose, you might get suggestions
for other applications, because I don't see how storing this in Excel
is going to be efficient -- check the size of your Excel file.. .

---
HTH,

"Stuart" wrote in message ...
Hi David.

Thanks for that, the only problem with that is it leaves lots of blank cells
when pasted back into excel. I've even tried saving the spreadsheet as csv
and text file to see if that would help when pasted back into excel. No luck
there. -- Any more ideas greatly accepted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

Hi David.

Our website is dtabase driven so the product pages are what Im trying to
change in the csv file. The reason I want to chage them to plain text is so I
can use the full description of the product in shopping comparison sites like
google, price grabber, price runner and ciao. These only accpet product
descriptions in plain text so all the html has to be removed.

Regards

Stuart

"Stuart" wrote in message ...
Hi David.

Thanks for that, the only problem with that is it leaves lots of blank cells
when pasted back into excel. I've even tried saving the spreadsheet as csv
and text file to see if that would help when pasted back into excel. No luck
there. -- Any more ideas greatly accepted.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stuart

That works fine, I also added

EditReplace
Find what: \{*\}
Replace with: (enter 1 space)

"David McRitchie" wrote:

Hi Stuart,
I would go to Steve Miller's http://www.stevemiller.net/apps/
and install Pure Text then you can copy the HTML from an HTML page
click on the PT system taskbar button, and paste into notepad.

If you start from the Excel sheet, copy from the column, Paste into notepad,
save as HTML (junk.htm) from notepad, open the junk.htm file with your
browser, copy the everything on the sheet (Ctrl+A, Ctrl+C) then paste
into notepad and you will have your text. After you have installed and
used Pure Text the process should take about 3 minutes to convert in that
manner.
---
HTH,
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Coderre

Thanks for letting us know. I'm glad you finally got something you could
work with.

Regards,
Ron

"Stuart" wrote: