Junior Member

Default Why help?

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a company and website, and charges others for his work http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take advantage of me.

How do others feel?
KL

Hi infoman,

Just two things:

1) Don't you think you are committing an abuse by posting this off-topic
(and potentially a troll) in three different threads?
2) I guess you can't reasonably prove in the virtual environmente, where we
all are, neither that the guy you are taking shots at is making his businees
solely based on the help he gets here nor the fact that you paid and sweated
to learn what you learnt.
3) I believe that, with a few exceptions, most of the people who ask
questions here are in some way earning their living with Excel and that is
OK
4) Providing help here is totally voluntary and by participating you in a
sense renounce any ownership for the ideas you share (unless you explicitly
patent them and warn people about the copyright)

Regards,
KL

--
infoman

JE McGimpsey

In article ,
infoman wrote:

How do others feel?

If you don't want to give someone help, then don't.

Otherwise I think you should lay off the personal attacks, especially
since you're not giving your name, and, in at least one post are hiding
behind an anonymous mail server, and in this post are essentially
anonymous, other than being a "junior member" at a web portal.

It strikes me that you're being particularly cowardly, whereas the OP is
being up front about asking for help.

That's how I feel. I don't presume to speak for anyone else (but I do
give my real name and email address).
Bob Phillips

Just to add, I can only see something like 16 posts in 3 years from this
guy. This hardly seems over-doing it to me.

I have helped many people here who openly admit to being Excel trainers,
Office consultants or whatever, and I do not feel bothered or cheated by it
in any way. so what's the beef?

Bob

"infoman" wrote in message

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

Mangus Pyke

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 21:15:04 +0100, "Bob Phillips"
wrote:
Just to add, I can only see something like 16 posts in 3 years from this
guy. This hardly seems over-doing it to me.

I have helped many people here who openly admit to being Excel trainers,
Office consultants or whatever, and I do not feel bothered or cheated by it
in any way. so what's the beef?

Those who teach must also learn.

MP-

--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner

Alan

3) I believe that, with a few exceptions, most of the people who ask
questions here are in some way earning their living with Excel and that is
OK

That is true I believe, I certainly do and a lot of the help I've been given
by experts on this group have done my career no harm at all! I really thank
them all for it.
Regards,
Alan.

"infoman" wrote in message

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

CLR

Google only shows me 3 posts form "infoman", and none of them are offering
any help to any body.......only griping. Exactly what is it you think you
should be paid for?

I earn my living by Excel, and when I need help this is the first place I
come, and when I have spare time, I come here to help others.

This system is good........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"infoman" wrote in message

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

Bob Phillips

"Mangus Pyke" wrote in message

Those who teach must also learn.

Precisely. And as a great teacher yourself Mangus, you would appreciate that
:-).

Barb Reinhardt

I first came to this group to get assistance with some "sticky Excel
problem" (to me). To others, it was easy. Why not benefit from other's
experience rather than reinvent the wheel?

I come back for two reasons:
1 - I learn from other's questions. I've learned more about excel just by
helping others.
2 - I can't just take from a group like this, I need to give back when I
can.

"infoman" wrote in message

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

Kassie

I may not be an expert in Excel, but I enjoy the privilege of being able to
help other people wherever I can. I also enjoy reading all the questions and
answers given by those who know more than me. According to you, I shouldn't.

Clearly you are extremely jealous of this guy, who had the guts to start a
business!. Unlike you, he will continue to gain knowledge and experience, as
he is not afraid to ask for help! You on the other hand seem to believe that
since you "went to school", you know everything. I don't think so.

In any case, I've never come across posts from you helping others. Why
don't you rather take your example from people like the Bob,s Debrah's,
McGimpsey's et al, too many to mention here, and live and let live.

It is so true, no one forces you to participate in this forum, no one asks
you to participate in this forum, and no one will shed one single tear if you
do not participate! Com on man.

--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

"infoman" wrote in message

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

Kassie

Oh yes, I went and had a look at his website. He makes money out of
designing Access databases, so I do not see anything wrong with him asking
about Excel.
Maybe you should also get the guts to use your real name, especially when
you attack innocent people, who help to make this usergroup the pleasure that
it is.
--

"infoman" wrote:

We all help each other with sticky problems. Some are abusing this
sharing of ideas.

Several requests for help have come from one person, Ken Ivins, asking
how to solve his problems. He holds himself as a professional, has a
company and website, and charges others for his work
http://www.kivins.com. Then he comes here asking for free help.

A couple of times, fine. But this person is making his living from us
doing his work.

Maybe he should go to school and learn the way we did. I put money and
sweat to acquire what I know. I share with people who don't take
advantage of me.

How do others feel?

--
infoman

Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 05:22:05 -0700, Kassie
wrote:
Oh yes, I went and had a look at his website. He makes money out of
designing Access databases, so I do not see anything wrong with him asking
about Excel.

Though admittedly, he should be shot for charging his clients
$295/year for web hosting.

::chuckle::

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:25:02 -0700, Kassie wrote:
Hi Mangus

lol

There I agree, but I think it is his right to charge what he wants. It is
also our choice to pay, or rather not to pay those rates!

True indeed.

I just feel horrible for the people that know no better and accept
such services. Hosting is $5/mo for a fairly decent amount of storage
these days. That means he's essentially charging $290 month to
facilitate the act of hosting them..

But, as you mentioned, it's his right to charge what he wants.

:)

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Bob Phillips

"Mangus Pyke" wrote in message

I just feel horrible for the people that know no better and accept
such services. Hosting is $5/mo for a fairly decent amount of storage
these days. That means he's essentially charging $290 month to
facilitate the act of hosting them..

That's capitalism.

And you might want to re-do your math.

Mangus Pyke

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 23:12:37 +0100, "Bob Phillips" wrote:
"Mangus Pyke" wrote in message
I just feel horrible for the people that know no better and accept
such services. Hosting is $5/mo for a fairly decent amount of storage
these days. That means he's essentially charging $290 month to
facilitate the act of hosting them..

That's capitalism.

And you might want to re-do your math.

Oops, he's charging $295 per year, not monthly. Thank you!

And it's not capitalism, it's robbery.

Capitalism is charging $20 for the $5 hosting package, not $235.

MP-
--
"Learning is a behavior that results from consequences."
B.F. Skinner
Junior Member

I'm old enough to have spent as many years teaching as some of you have worked. And in my work, I charge for what I know and what I can do.

If I can't do something, I refer the customer to someone who can do the job. I don't try and snag an excel job and then run here for help. Or I bring in help and pay them for their knowledge and work.

Another post calls it capitalism. I don't think so. Capitalism would be subcontracting to someone who could do the job. I call it using people if someone charges for something they don't do.

Jealousy? No. Frustration with others who can't stand the idea of admitting their limitations or maybe it's losing the money. I have my business and it doesn't rely on guts to ask others to do my work. Maybe you should reexamine your own work ethics if you think it's correct to use someone else's work. In some areas it's called plagiarism, intellectual dishonesty, intellectual theft, or cheating.

I'm not advocating restricting information. There should be an equitable exchange. That means not taking advantage of others. That means not giving as much as you get. That means helping as much as you get help.

As for anonymous? Sure, because this is the internet and filled with lots of creeps whose first response is to try and identify and harass me. Listen kiddies, I've been on the net when you were learning how to type. I'm listed in enough FAQ's. We all knew each other then. And we didn't use each other. The "takers" didn't last long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kassie
I may not be an expert in Excel, but I enjoy the privilege of being able to
help other people wherever I can. <snipAccording to you, I shouldn't.

Clearly you are extremely jealous of this guy, who had the guts to start a
business!. Unlike you, he will continue to gain knowledge and experience, as
he is not afraid to ask for help! You on the other hand seem to believe that
since you "went to school", you know everything. I don't think so.

In any case, I've never come across posts from you helping others. Why
don't you rather take your example from people like the Bob,s Debrah's,
McGimpsey's et al, too many to mention here, and live and let live.

<tripe snipped

--
ve_2nd_at. Randburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Bob Phillips

"Mangus Pyke" wrote in message

And it's not capitalism, it's robbery.

Capitalism is charging $20 for the $5 hosting package, not $235.

No capitalism is charging what the market will pay.

Robbery is when you take something from someone that they don't want to
give.

GeorgeF

Hi All,
What a topic! Here we are trying to help each other, since there is
not one textbook encompassing all these questions/answers, and now we
are quibbling because someone is selling the answers. I've been to
Border's Book Store many times but have not found any literature on
Excel as detailed as the questions found on the Forum. As a rather
limited user but avid reader, I look at the Forum as an ever increasing
book of knowledge without an Index and with catch-all Chapter headings,
since so much is cross-threaded. Reading this book is a great pleasure
to see that someone, someplace at some time of day is looking at your
problem, perhaps understanding it, and offerring some thoughts, some
posssible dialog and eventually, a solution. Any one of these very
specific questions can be nothing more than one small, but important,
contribution to an overall Excel application for somebody, somewhere.
The fact that someone is selling a very few of these thoughts also
reflects on the weakness of his/her market because the Forum is
available to everyone. I did offer an answer to someone's question.
Even if they sold it, I don't want 10%. I think that we are all part
of a win-win group. GeorgeF

--
GeorgeF
GeorgeF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24124