Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default The workbook containts one or more links that cannot be updated?

What exactly does this mean?
I get the continue/edit links "101120"

Behind that screen I see:
"Excel completed file level validation and repair. Some parts ....have been
repaired or discarded.
Removed Records: Named range from /xl/workbook.xml part (Workbook)"

Can someone please translate this? I do not know if data is missing or
calculations are now incorrect?

The is an excel 2007 worksheet. I opened it with Excel 2007 Sp1. When I
tried to open it with excel 2003 (file converted installed) it could not
convert the file.

Thanks this is happening more and more lately.

SJMP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hello customer,

Based on my experiences, this issue may occur if the Excel was created by a
third-party software or the Excel file contains code. You may not
experience the issue if you have only Excel 2007 without SP1 installed.

You can try to install Excel 2007 on one client and then check if this
issue can be reproduced.

If this is the case on your side, you may need to contact the support of
third-party software or the developers to find the root cause as Excel 2007
SP1 may contain some security updates that cause the error.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Default The workbook containts one or more links that cannot be update

Ada thanks for the reply. But the information is not really answering my
questions.

There is not third party software installed. No code in the worksheet.

What would stop Excel 2003 from being able to convert the file and open it?
What is causing the error? If it is a result of a MS update - will it be
resolved? Is MS still doing updates for 2007 office?

""Ada Pan [MSFT]"" wrote:

Hello customer,

Based on my experiences, this issue may occur if the Excel was created by a
third-party software or the Excel file contains code. You may not
experience the issue if you have only Excel 2007 without SP1 installed.

You can try to install Excel 2007 on one client and then check if this
issue can be reproduced.

If this is the case on your side, you may need to contact the support of
third-party software or the developers to find the root cause as Excel 2007
SP1 may contain some security updates that cause the error.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hello customer,

If this workbook is manually created and doesn't contain any code, please
send a copy file to . Then, we can test it on our
end to help find the root cause.

Also, please help collect the following information for further research:

#1. What is the version of Excel that the file being created in, Excel 2007
or Excel 2007 with SP1?

#2. Can the workbook open on the client using Excel 2007? Can the workbook
open on the client using Excel 2007 with SP1?

#3. Does this issue occur on every client running Excel 2003? Have Excel
2003 been applied with SP3?

#4. Please take a screen shot of the error message that also including the
Excel background and send it to me.

Regarding your queries, please see the information below:

#1. What would stop Excel 2003 from being able to convert the file and open
it?
Since we don't have the file, it is hard to tell what causes the problem.
However, I don't think it is related to Excel 2003 but the data in this
specific file or the file creation mode.

#2. What is causing the error? If it is a result of a MS update - will it
be resolved? Is MS still doing updates for 2007 office?
This may not an Excel problem. If the Excel workbook is created by a
third-party software, just same as a previous case, the third-party
software needs to change the related code to be compatible with Excel 2007
with SP1.

If you have any update, please let me know.

Regards,

Ada Pan

Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! -
www.microsoft.com/security

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Ada

I just sent you an email with the requested information.

Thanks for your help!

#1. What is the version of Excel that the file being created in, Excel 2007
or Excel 2007 with SP1?

#2. Can the workbook open on the client using Excel 2007? Can the workbook
open on the client using Excel 2007 with SP1?

#3. Does this issue occur on every client running Excel 2003? Have Excel
2003 been applied with SP3?

#4. Please take a screen shot of the error message that also including the

#1. What would stop Excel 2003 from being able to convert the file and open
it?
Since we don't have the file, it is hard to tell what causes the problem.
However, I don't think it is related to Excel 2003 but the data in this
specific file or the file creation mode.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hi Customer,

If possible, please forward your email to with the
following subject, as Ada's mailbox has some problems to receive the
external emails:

Follow Up For Microsoft Newsgroup Post: "< The workbook containts one or
more links that cannot be updated?" with <Ada Pan (43357419)

Thank you for your time and cooperation.

Regards,

Peter Yang

Microsoft Online Partner Support
Get Secure! -
www.microsoft.com/security

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.setup

Hello customer,

How are you?

I am currently standing by for an update from you and would like to know
how things are going there. Please let me know if there is anything else I
can do further assistance.

I am looking forward to your response.

Best wishes,

Peter Yang